Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to upgrade to some more aggressive pads up front on my 9C1 calipers. Since Hawk doesn't produce HPS or HP+ pads anymore for the wider calipers, what are some other pads that will grab just as hard? Any of them available through common parts store chains?
TIA!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Raybestos makes pads, but from past observation, the more aggressive version (Super Stop?) is very noisy, dusty, and EATS rotors. Is that what you want?

Maybe you should look at what is available from Wilwood in their D52 series--talk to Todd Cook at TCE about this. These pads will fit the OE calipers, but probably not the wide (JA9/9C1) version, unless you use a spacer, which could be a good thing as far as insulating/isolating heat at the pad from the brake fluid.

Even though you're not in Chicago anymore, take a look at the Power Stop 911 pads:

PowerStop LLC

Pads 1

Pads 2 (911 Extreme)

Alternate source 1

Alternate source 2

Alternate source 3

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have AC-Delco Police package front brake pads for sale. See link:

http://impalassforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=023362

Originally posted by Chicagoareabmx:
Looking to upgrade to some more aggressive pads up front on my 9C1 calipers. Since Hawk doesn't produce HPS or HP+ pads anymore for the wider calipers, what are some other pads that will grab just as hard? Any of them available through common parts store chains?
TIA!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bill. I'll check those out. I already have fairly new(bout a year old) Delco 9C1 pads. I was considering the Performance Friction pads. Are they going to be any less prone to brake fade, or grab any better than newish stock pads? I would guess that the Powerstop pads you reccomended would be the best of all 3?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no experience with the PowerStop "brand" pads, so don't consider it a recommendation, per se.

Perhaps a little off-topic, but the nice thing about C5/C6 brakes, as opposed to the OE stuff on the B-body. is the huge variety of options as far as pads, and the wide range of characteristics available--Hawk and PFC, as well as others, cover them very well.

The GM "D52" pad series, the basic front pad for the B-body, probably has an equally wide range of friction characteristics, and the Wilwood menu is just an example of what I'm talking about, since the GM single piston brake, or variations of it, is so common in many forms of racing.

Whether you stay with the wide 9C1 calipers or change to the standard calipers (which opens up a wider range of pad choice), you have to decide.

I think the PFC -4 pad, which is their street compound, should work alright, but it is not a "put you through the windshield" compound. It's a matter of trial & error, actually, so be prepared to do some real-world testing to see what works for what you're doing with the car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike,

I'm not doubting you as far as your statement about switching to the "police" version of this pad.

I do question what Manny is selling and calling the police version, since the subject has been addressed many times here.

If you have standard Impala SS calipers (brake RPO JB9) and OE rotors (even if they're worn), police pads from the 94-96 9C1 (brake RPO JA9), installed in the JB9 caliper, will not fit over the rotor.

The JB9-spec caliper is narrower by 0.250", and the JA9-spec pads are thicker by 0.162" total (from FMSI specs).

I can only conclude that unless you've changed calipers, the VGX pads Manny is calling Police & Impala are either not manufactured to FMSI specs, or he's not knowledgeable about the actual differences between JA9 & JB9 brake pads, and is selling the VGX version of the standard--ie. "thin" D614 pad.

FWIW, FMSI ID for the front pads on these cars (94-96):

Impala SS (JB9) & 93 9C1:

7492-D614

Caprice 9C1 (JA9):

7506-D614 (thick pads)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Bill. I learned what you've just stated as I tried to install these pads. Yes they were too thick. However, I have a large belt sander and thinned them about.020, taking four cornor measurements every .005 or so and removed the metal shims from the backs of the pads and they fit fine. Also, after several driving sessions, the car's in street trim right now, on the rack, the wheels spin freely: a problem we've discussed here before. I had the correct version of VGX before and because of the low dust, wanted to stay with that brand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.