Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If my 96 SS ever got in a accident I likely won't get much if the damage was around $3500-$5000, they likely would total the car and give me KBB and a little more because I have 4 other cars on the policy, full coverage.

Just went through a claim on another car that got rear ended with $3500 damage and car was totaled and they gave me $5k for a 2003 Astro. Given the condition of the Astro I was OK with it but would not be for the SS

So I checked out Grundy online. Got a "online" quote for $314.76 for a agreed value of $25k per year with a $100 deductible for Comp & Collision. I checked the 500-2500mi box but in reading about their coverage's they claim "unlimited" miles. Perhaps so at more $, IDK since I was only talking with my keyboard. I actually only drive the car around 2500 mi a year anyway but would not want to be limited to that. Car is garaged and is not a DD so I am good there.

Like anything else this quote comes with a * saying nothing binding until underwriters get on it. I printed out the "proposal" which has me signing and sending in a check along with a photo and copy of registration

Anyone have comparable "Agreed" value insurance?

with who?

Cost?

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Not that I have this type coverage,but Hagerty's another popular choice.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hagerty, American Collector Car are 2 others I will get a quote from.

I see the more common carriers offer "collector car" coverage. Including AAA which is who I have 5 cars insured with now. Given AAA cost now is $485 year for "full" coverage...I don't think "agreed" coverage of $25k would be less but will give them a call.

Would be interested to hear about someone who actually had to make a full loss claim with a Agreed value policy.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
I have Grundy, $338 a year $20k agreed value and full tort, not sure how CA insurance laws are but in PA full tort typically is a lot more expensive than limited. Never had to file a claim with them yet. Last time I looked into it they were cheaper by a lot over the other collector companies.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I've had American Modern since 1997 for my 95 and 96 Imp SS's,my 96 B4U and various antique age big Chevy's.I have been very happy over the years with them,Rally Insurance group is the agent.They are in Chicagoland.

I did put in 2 claims for cracked windshields and both Rally/Amer modern told me got get that correct dated coded/markings glass and have the comp of my choice do the install.Had a check from Amer Moddern in 48 hours after submitting a quote.

Amer Modern/Rally require a current certified appraisal for agreed insured amounts over $10k I believe,along with a set of detailed pics.

Didn't see having an appraisal done, mentioned in your orig post BALLSS.

This type of insurance well worth having,imho.
Jim

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
I just got off the phone with Hagerty today actually. I believe Grundy requires a garage for storage, which Hagerty did not. I was not overly excited with what Hagerty quoted me at today, $1717 for no garage, $1200ish if I stored it at my buddies shop. I can't believe Grundy quoted you at $300 and change. I guess I'll have to call them....

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didn't see having an appraisal done, mentioned in your orig post BALLSS.
I just filled out the "online" application and got their "proposal" I printed out for signature and sending in a check, pic & copy of registration

There was nothing mentioning having to get the car appraised. I applied for their "agreed" value insurance and on the "Proposal" it says "$25000 agreed value" along with the other coverage's (PD, medical, deductible, etc)

IDK if another shoe is going to drop when I mail in the signed proposal but based on what was posted by 350 who has $20k value, he didn't mention Grundy requires some form of appraisal

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
I will venture to say they will ask for some type of appraisal to be done before they allow 25K, at the very least, they will require a reason to be drawn to why you require 25K. I just had a quote done for my stuff, and I'm looking for 25K as well, and received paperwork for 21K in body work alone, so I won't dig any further. Hagerty came up with 32K replacement cost today while I discussed the money I had sank into the car.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
That would be great if they didn't require an appraisal. They cost $150-$175 here in Chicagoland for a certified/accredited that is recognized by my carrier Rally/Amer Modern Home.
Jim

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Get it appraised. It's the only way you will your money. Insurance companies will agree on agreed value but it will be a long fight to get that amount. With an appraisal you have proof an they will insure an pay out with that proof.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
I just filled out the "online" application and got their "proposal" I printed out for signature and sending in a check, pic & copy of registration

There was nothing mentioning having to get the car appraised. I applied for their "agreed" value insurance and on the "Proposal" it says "$25000 agreed value" along with the other coverage's (PD, medical, deductible, etc)

IDK if another shoe is going to drop when I mail in the signed proposal but based on what was posted by 350 who has $20k value, he didn't mention Grundy requires some form of appraisal
I don't believe they require an appraisal unless it's over $35K. My uncle has a 39 Mercury insured through them for $50K with no appraisal since it's being restored now and he has all the receipts. That plus a few motorcycles are $550ish a year.

I guess with the garage requirement and limitations on use (not mileage but it can't be daily driven) the claim rates have to be crazy low, they're probably still making a killing if you pay $300 a year.

·
Premium Member
3,560 Posts
Not that I have this type coverage,but Hagerty's another popular choice.

This...

Be aware if you have a separate "umbrella" policy in regards to auto and home. Classic car insurance needs to know. It raised mine about $100 per year. IIRC I'm paying about $ 415 thru Hagerty's.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
FWIW -- I have had agreed to value for 12 years. Now maybe a lot has changed, don't know, but I have agreed to value at 60K for less than 1K a year and that covers everything but wrecking it at the track. Full coverage, fire, theft, under insured driver and all that stuff.

What's different is I'm on a plan for no more that 3,000 miles a year.
I paid $1,500 for a true professional appraisal. They took pictures, even under the car and I had receipts for all the mods done at that time.
I was in my 40's at that time.
I have never wrecked the car, before then or now. And no tickets, perfect driving record.

I know that appraisal cost sounds high, and I thought I had paid way too much, but in reflection it saved me thousands in yearly cost and it gave me much higher value if ever needed.

There are a lot of factors that go into the price, coverage and agreed to value for insurance. Even where you live as that raises or lowers the cost.

It's the old "parts are not parts"

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have Hagerty and I am also in N.J. Albeit SSouth Jersey !!
$321 a year for the whole nine yards - agreed value for me is a low $8000, but my car is not a show car - and I drive it often. Of note here the actual insurance company cited on my NJ ID Card is Code 147 ESSENTIA INS. CO. I had to show a garage and other Daily driver vehicles as well as an insurance policy that covers them. No inspection, they underwrote me based on photos and a phone call.

All that said they did DENY coverage for my 1985 Honda CRX (it's a car - not a motorcycle :wink2: ) I was seeking 3 to 5 K in coverage during its restoration and they looked at the pics and denied me as not having enough value. I believe $5K is the minimum level the company will insure.

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
I'm in SJ as well, but at 8K, and $321, I guess that makes sense. I need 25K, so triple that and factor in my probably younger age at 33, and there you go, 12 and change a year through Hagerty...

·
Registered
833 Posts
Agreed Value Insurance

Haven't dealt with Grundy but represent Hagerty. The key to their coverage is you have to have another DD vehicle for each licensed driver in the household. A secure place to store the car (usually a garage) and you cannot drive it to work or to run errands or use it as a back up vehicle if a DD is not available.

That said you can drive for pleasure, to car shows, track events or to a shop for maintenance and or repairs. There is no limit to the annual miles driven. They require pictures of all four sided of the car, inside, under the hood and receipts are a plus. They write "agreed value" contracts with low to zero deductibles and have good customer service if you do have an accident. Rates will vary with where you live and driving record but our cars are now 20 years old and the cost to insure them for agreed value has dropped since they are antiques now.

·
Premium Member
3,560 Posts
I will venture to say they will ask for some type of appraisal to be done before they allow 25K, at the very least, they will require a reason to be drawn to why you require 25K. I just had a quote done for my stuff, and I'm looking for 25K as well, and received paperwork for 21K in body work alone, so I won't dig any further. Hagerty came up with 32K replacement cost today while I discussed the money I had sank into the car.
Higher price could be due to your zip code. I have mine insured with Hagerty's for $ 25k for only $ 414 a year. The car is garaged but not sure "why" yours would be so much higher. Also no appraisal was necessary but I did need to submit photos

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE

after getting a few "comparison" quotes I went with Grundy. $25k agreed value. $100 deduct-able on Comprehensive & Collision. Windshield replacement $0, Uninsured Motorist, Bodily Injury/PD, Medical, Spare Parts, Towing, trip Interruption

Filled out the online app, mailed in Check with the "proposal" they emailed and a few pics of car (they only asked for one). They needed my wife DL, car she drove and accident history in past 5 years. Basically anyone in the same household you need to prove they have another car to drive other than the agreed value car. There were a few mileage increments to check on the application. I checked 2500-5000 mi a year. I average around $3k per year for the SS

Car has to be garaged (it is). No appraisal needed

Premium is $332.76 a year ($18 higher than initial quote)

Painless process, just a few emails to respond to.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts