Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the drag strip last night because I hadn't gone yet this year, and I just mounted my slicks last night (Ohh yeah!). It was a nice cool night... and I ran a 14.9, 15.0, 15.0, 14.8...

Now Last year I was running 14.7 best and 14.8 constantly. I have only added headers and drag slicks. Can anyone give me some help? My tires did not spin at all... my 60's were 2.08xx (I dont know the other ones.. thats just the one I saw) and my MPH was 92mph give or take a few.
Anyone see anything I am doing wrong here? Maybe I should put the stock manifolds back on and see what that does? I was running 14.7/14.8's in the heat of summer last night (90* days)... Last night was a perfect night. Chilled air and all...

Let me know if you have any ideas!
Thanks,
Eric

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm running 14.7's at 93.8 mph and my mods are Intake, exhaust, BH programming and 1.6 RRs. My 60 foots are 2.2. Maybe the slicks are hurting you on the top end.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The headers are killing your bottom end torque .. Yeah ; here it comes ... the headers help / hurt thread / flame war ... :D .... Seriously ... with 2400 stall and 3.73 gears you should be cutting 1.8x 60' times all day long on slicks ... and 92 MPH is a terrible MPH .. you should be in the 94+ range .... put the stock manifolds back on and see what it runs ... header on stock heads / cam cars just don't work .... I've dynoed 3 sets Edelbrock, SLP, Hooker ... lost torque / HP on all three.. Yea I know .... I'm running the Edelbrocks .... I'm going to take them off soon ... Have to find a right hand stock cat to put back on ... It may hurt my Nitrous runs with the stock manifolds. Not sure; never dynoed anything on the bottle yet ... It's a learning curve....
JMO ....

Kenny

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kenny,

I couldn't disagree with you more! I know of at least six maybe more, stock heads and cams cars, all running headers, that picked up an average of 3-tenths at the track. I recently put long tubes on my stock heads and cam car, with no cats, and suffered no loss of bottom end! Of course, I do have a re-worked SLP TC, and 3.73's. Most likely, depending on how tall these slicks are, they are the problem. 28 inch or taller, will absolutely kill top end on stock heads and cam motor. The same parameters don't apply, when you are spraying. Just my opinion after 1000 plus passes, and many, many Impala related racing events. Oh yeah, made my eighth bracket final of the season Friday.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The slicks are 27" Tall. Im 99% Sure on that (I don't feel like running back out there to measure them.. heh)

My guess was the headers... I have been thinking of taking the stock manifolds and putting them back on. See how it goes. I have a T-56 and Nitrous being introduced to the car soon anyways... But yes the headers were what I was thinking of trying without first. I just thought that I should cut a lot better times. And I know the Tires being tall probably doesn't help.. but.. i still figured I'd make up for it with much better 60's....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Or should I try with the headers on but put my street tires back on? (They are 295 wide.. but the car just burns them... I cut pretty bad 60's with em.. 2.2's, etc.)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is what I would do. You want to make one change at a time to see what effect it has on your ETs. If you are still running slower with your street tires that should tell you the headers are hurting your times. If you run faster than last year, then you know the slicks are hurting your times. When I changed my stock manifolds out for ASM headers, I when from 14.98 to 14.68.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You tell'em Rick! :D If the slicks are just 27", that probably wouldn't effect your 60's that much, but they do have a lot of rolling resistance. What I would recommend with your setup, would be BFG 275-50-15 DR's. Rick and I both have many, many 1.70 and 1.80 60's with these!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see, but then even with drag slicks my 60's should still be better, Slicks AND Headers that is.. right? Because I have seen both sides of the post... Headers help the 60's and Slicks help the 60's....
Wouldn't they be best together?

Yes they are 27" tires.
...Still confused a little. I just want the car to run the best it can right now, before I go and upgrade more so I get the best times out of each mod. I did all the normal maintenance too.

Thanks,
Eric

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Eric,

Are you running true drag slicks? In my experience, they really don't help on lightly modded cars, plus they usually put you in a different class if you're bracket racing, and true slicks require a driveshaft loop, regardless of your times, if they are teching strictly by NHRA rules. I have a lot of experience with drag radials, and unless you're running lots of HP, you will get better results with them, IMO.

As far as the headers go, Borla shorties are not going to kill your bottom end, period. Assuming your car is in good mechanical tune, those headers should'nt be causing what you are describing. Of course, there are many other variables that can affect your times, track conditions, temperature, humidity, altitude, you name it. I've seen as much as four tenths difference in my car on successive nights, at two different tracks. I doubt very seriously that your slower times are due to the headers and slicks. There may be some other factor involved. All I can say is, I know a whole bunch of people running very respectable times, with very good 60's, that are running stock heads and cams, with headers and DR's. HTH

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, great tip you have there.. They are TRUE slicks... And when I teched in they didn't say anything about using slicks without a driveshaft loop? ...hrm.. Its a big track too.

Well I also had both sides with an exhaust leak.. which I know was hurting performance, But when i do get headers i am going to go with full length headers. The shorties are just toooo hot for my liking, and these humid illinois summer days are going to fry everything under the hood. Bracket racing I don't do, Just open racing, test and tune.

Yes I will have DR soon though, Nittos or BFG but I got the slicks for shipping cost only :) (about 35$)

So I thought it was worth a shot, and I have lots of spare rims that fit my car lying around.

Also I was looking forward to the future... In a few weeks my car will have some steroids (N2O)... I wasn't a huge fan of it, but hey it goes fast and I got a spare LT1 waiting for transplant (Which will get cam, 1.6rrs, full-length headers, etc..)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.