Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably on the forum somewhere, but I've looked and didn't see this specific info.
Question: How do you adapt the factory air lines to a set of air lift bags in the springs? This should allow the leveler to work properly while getting rid of the air shocks themselves. By the way, air shocks have been junk as shocks for 40 years now.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Good question I was just about to ask myself--again without doing a search.

If and when I change anything, I want to ditch the air shocks but would really like it if I could then hook airbags up to the same compressor lines & leveling system. Then it would work the same in theory, but the shocks would be of any other choice.

Just did a quick search, and it does look like others have done it...now just for extra details on the setup...

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the link you want. This is what I want to do to my Roady when I get around to it.

In a nutshell. You replace a spring in the air pump then hook the existing lines to the new air bags and install regular old shocks.

HTH!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bingo--thanks. I still lug heavy loads around from time to time in the rear, but will never get proper performance with the stock air shocks in back, so this is pretty much the best and cleanest solution.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help, guys.

So, for my 96 Fleetwood with 9C1 springs, I need to:
1. Get the right length Air Lift air bags for these springs.
2. Install the air bags upside down for air line clearance.
3. Use compression coupling(s) to connect the air bag lines to the factory line(s).
4. Replace spring or remove diaphragm in pump to reduce pressure.

It sounds like removing the diaphragm might be the best solution, but I wonder if there are any downsides to doing this?
David

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you already have them on, how is the Caddy ride and feel (or how has it changed) with the 9C1 springs?

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by caddyguy109:
If you already have them on, how is the Caddy ride and feel (or how has it changed) with the 9C1 springs?
My brother in law and I just finished installing the 9C1 rear springs in my car (among other things). It is dark, we are tired... I will post a review tomorrow.

To make a long story short, I needed to raise the rear a bit, I could not carry rear passengers or any weight without scraping everything with my Borla tips. Hopefully this does the trick.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Little plastic spacer things on top and air fittings pointed up for better hose routing & protection from roadkill.

Use a ton o' ducttape to keep everything in place. Inspect/retape every 3 years.

Werd

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bottom line: Fleetwood rear is heavy. Impala SS springs just don't do the trick (at least for me). Heavy Duty 9C1 springs raise the rear 2 inches and ride much better than the SS springs, especially when paired with the Bilsteins.

I am impressed with the ride now and I don't have to worry about rubbing or bottoming out when I have rear passengers or any weight in the trunk.. Sweet.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds good, and you may have helped answer a question for me as far as springs--my lastest thought 9C1's all around, Bilsteins, and airlifts in the back still to retain the leveler for my occasional overloads. I could probably do without the latter, but still actually like the concept, just not the crappy shocks that usually go with it.

Bars would probably be good too, to help keep corners more in check, but again for my uses, probably something like OEM SS (and whatever else was the same) ones.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, those Hotchkis bars made the biggest difference in the world. Very well spent $$$

FYI, I bought the springs from Autozone. They were labeled Impala SS heavy duty springs.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
details about compression fittings - I had a heck of a time finding these specifics:

http://impalassforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=005243

I used a 1/8" compression fitting with female 1/8" NPT threads + a 1/4" DOT airbrake compression fitting with male 1/8" NPT threads. The two fittings screw together with the pipe threads. The 1/8 compression connects to the car's little air line. The 1/4 compression connects to the air lift line. The DOT airbrake fittings include a nipple/sleeve that slips into the soft line to keep it from collapsing when compressed. Since the 1/8 line is pretty hard, this was not really needed.

I've put Airlift bags on two wagons. One was simply to replace the air shocks on my 95 RMS. The second was a complete auto-level retrofit for my 67 Chevelle wagon. I like the auto-level systems.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice addition jb2wheels, I'm going to have to bookmark this thread and maybe bump it up on the "to do" list.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To the question of whether I like the 9C1 suspension on our 96 FW -
I don't know absolutely for sure yet as the parts haven't been installed yet.

To be installed next week:
1) 30mm front sway bar - used, $20, from Roadmaster sedan (must have had FE3) same as 9C1.
Note: apparently no longer available new.
2) 26mm rear sway bar - p/n 10207649, new from GM, $100 (trade price). Note: When possible, I prefer new parts for items that function as springs.
From ImpalaSuperStore.com
3) New Bilsteins
Front B46..1104 $90 ea, $180 @ pair
Rear B46..0929 $70 ea, $140 @ pair
4) New GM HD Police Package springs
Front SEO-F $272 @ pair
Rear SEO-R $160 @ pair
5) Any bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc., as required.
Automatic leveling to be re-created with air bags as detailed in this thread as soon as possible.
Haven't decided about steering damper yet.
Will install higher effort steering box in near future, (WS6, custom from AGR, etc).
Tires are already installed on factory 15 x 7 aluminum FW wheels - Goodyear Eagle RS-A 235/70VR-15, at rated max of 44 psi, with SmartTire pressure monitoring system. Note speed rating of tires - now I can reprogram the speed limiter.
Ride with 44 psi is very acceptable - big tall sidewalls help.
Assume it will feel just like the 9C1 cars I have experienced - stiff and well damped, just the way I like it. More or less like my friend's M5 BMW for 1/10th the cost.
Car already had 28mm front bar and 2mm rear bar.
Haven't decided about steering damper.
Will add body mounts soon, probably replacing all with urethane.
I want the 9C1 ride height. We have lots of speed bumps around here that you can't clear with Impala SS springs - one of my friends is putting the 9C1 springs on his 96 Impala SS for this reason.
I expect to enjoy this a lot and be able to drive it hard in the real world of bad pavement.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You know what? That is the EXACT and identical list of what I will be doing with mine, when the day comes. Same springs, same bars, same shocks, etc.

Whenever you're done, I can't wait to hear the results because it'll just make me work it into the budget that much quicker.

Right now, as I've said, mine is still a stock and fresh FE1 soft rider, with the exception of my Impala SS wheels on 275-50-17 Nittos which have actually firmed things up considerably, as far as ride over lumps and handling. But at the same time, it's still high performance wider and thinner tires combined with a squishy Caddy suspension, so it's far from ideal--yet still provides a largely nice ride that's quite comfortable, aside from the large bump induced float.

[ 01-19-2007, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: caddyguy109 ]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts