Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My exhaust melted a hole in my driver's side air bag. has anyone come up with a solution to prevent this? I beleive I read this before somewhere?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
wow, thats nuts... what kinda exhaust are you running? i need to make sure not to use those. as long as you are moving i would imagine that the air would cool the bag enough. My friends say 'use exhaust wrap' but we all know better than that. I would say that if the exhaust heated up so much that it melted your air bag, that you have probably melted a lot of important stuff under there too. your tire is almsot as close as the bag is to the exhaust... are you running lean?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ree,

The Hotchkis / Airlift bags come with a set of heat shields that go around the exhuast pipe to prevent this..

That said however I've never had mine installed, but am concerned enough about it to send out my new Dynomax 2.5" rear pipes out to have them Cermachromed, not for the looks but to cut down on the heat transfer...

You could try what I'm doing or I suppose you could wrap the pipes near your springs with Header Tape to cut down on the heat. Just a thought.

L8R

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh... he meant one of those lifter bags... Sorry i always think people are talking about Firestone or Slam Specialty bags

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just read his Sig... looked like a racer and not a bagger... :cool:

I also have been running lift bags in both my 94 with stock exhaust and the 96 with Borla and have never had heat problems... except for melting a line once that I had routed in a bad spot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, i red the sig after that too
but im gonna have one hell of a bagged racer too, so i was hoping someone was on my level too... in fact im editing my sig now to reflect beter... i wish i had more space to sig.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
not to hijack the thread, but to kinda continue on in a new direction...........

for those "draggers" do you need to do anything with the exhaust in the rear pertaining to the rear bags. I was under the car last night checking out the rear and the exhaust seems to run really close to where the bags will be mounted. Do I need to shield them in some way, or just cut the exhaust off right after the muffler and put on a set of turn downs? or am I overthinking the whole situation and not need to worry about it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.