Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got off the phone with my installer dude. Says the car won't go side-to-side with my Hotchkis swaybars. I could have sworn seeing other people on here with upgraded sways that can do side-to-side. Is this guy yankin' my chain?

EDIT: CRAP, I just saw a post by Crispix. Looks like I have to take them OUT??? Dang, how bad of a ride would that be? And how dangerous!?! :eek:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Really? i always thought that you could go side to side with upgraded swaybars. i have an f-body bar up front and i was gonna upgrade my rear sway and lca's soon but i am planning on bagging. If i can't do it, forget about upgrading the sways. i'm gonna watch this post

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'm stumped too. My searches are'nt really helping much. I'm sure Crispix or ThreeImpalas will reply today with some info.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's my understanding that the car will go side to side, but will be limited due to the swaybars. I would say if you enjoy the handling, keep the swaybar on, and just pop it off for playing around.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys, I used to install airbags, CHV_FRK was right, having the swaybars on the car will limit the side to side by a couple inches if not more ( depending on the size of the bar ).

Your ride shouldnt be bad if your installer does everything right, and you have at least a "decent" set of shocks on there, it will also depend on how much pressure you have in your bags, but there is usually a "sweet spot" you can put the air pressure at for ride/ handling.

Hope that helps you out. If you have any more questions just post them up .

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 64 is bagged and i took my sway off.Needed bigger side to side than the sway would allow.Newer b-body will be the same roughly.Unless you do some serious cornering you wont tell its off, because having the bags will feel so much different than stock you'll have to get use to driving it again anyway.Just my thoughts im sure you'll get different opinions here though.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guess I was wrong. Thought this thread'd get more replies. Thanks for those that have.

I just told the installers to remove the rear sway and I'll cruise around with it for a while and see what I think.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
actually swaybars limit up and down movement also. Most bagged cars and trucks are riding with no swaybars, and yes, that definately rules out side to side with a hotchkis...

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry guys, been workin and buying another wagon :D .....

you can do side to side with sway bars... DONT LET THEM LIE.. it will fight you doind side to side, but it still works. and it will limit the amount of movement you can get.. for example.. with out sway, you might beable to get 8" of side to side lift, and now you might only get 6"... Keep the sways...

wow, i cant beleive i didnt get to this post quicker, hope i didnt cost you any money..

i am sorry to greatly dissagree with bgdsub72 "actually swaybars limit up and down movement also. Most bagged cars and trucks are riding with no swaybars, and yes, that definately rules out side to side with a hotchkis", but... rear sway bars will not interfere with any of your height.. front sway bars (in our cars) wont mess with your lift as long as its not an idiot installing the system, and the statement 'definately rules out side to side with a hotchkis' unless the hotchkiss front bar is realllllllly different than any other bar, is totally wrong.

I personally had the F Body sway in the front and the Hotchkiss Wagon sway inthe rear, and could still raise a side to stock height while the other side was on the ground... now mabey not happening as quick or as freely, but it still worked great.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool thanks man. Didn't cost me any more $$. The installer guys are really cool to me. They left it on and I get about 5" of lift. I'll do the whole picture showoff thing later.

Thanks

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SShole, I think Crixpix meant the installer guys, not you personally.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ahh cool man.Good luck on the ride ,lets see some pics bro.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no, i was directly calling sshole a liar... ok, not really. :D no, i stated that the sways will FIGHT the side to side, but it wont stop it.. it will slow your side to side down, and inhibit it some (see example of the 8 inches or 6 inches)

look at my side/side action shot...
would you say that i am NOT doing side to side?.. nope
is it drastic? no...
is it fun as all hell? hell yes...
is it drasic enough for me... yes

i love to drive like all hell let loose, i love my sways with a 8 valve/4 corner system.. its great.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea my 64 is more of a "see what i can do" car,if i were to bag the 95 i would definatly keep the sways and go with a smaller valve/airline to slow things down compared to the 64.Its TOO fast somtimes.Plus i never take it around "conas" very fast,thus i really do not need the sways.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thats what i thought. i would make sure that all swaybar equipment is especially secured with bags because of all of the suspension play that you'll have. LCA's and rear sway's are coming soon for me then

1 - 16 of 16 Posts