Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i have a 94 ss and is bagged as i bought car with bags and im not much educated on bags but one of my compressors has not been working, weel at least my knowledge it isnt but im thinking since the other compressor makes a buzzing sound till tanks are full, so that tells me thats the sound if its working so one of my compressors is not working, i was wondering is there a fuse or something i can check to see if its bad or the compressor is shot? also what are prices normally to replace a shot compressor? i also want to kno is it normal when i park my car lifted and over night the front end is lowerd in morning but rear end still locked high? maybe a leak? or bad bags? idk any advice would be apreciated thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
You can meter the wire to see if you have 12volts directly at the compressor. If there's no voltage then you should hunt the line down for a burnt fuse and/or relay or solenoid depending on how they wired it for power, could also be turned on from Pressure stwitch at the tank, it could also be bad. Hard to tell without seeing the set-up. More than likey it's a burnt compressor, not uncommon. Check ebay for some pretty good deals on some Viar models. Yes, if you notice your car lowered by morning its gonna be a leak. It must be small if it takes all night so it's probably a fitting. Take a spray bottled mixed with soap and water and start at the front bag fittings and make your way to the trunk. You'll see bubbles where your leak is and either have to tighten it or replace it. If you take your time and dont find any leaks in your lines anywhere, I've had some valves go bad before and slowly leak air back into the tank from the fill side because of the weight on the front end. Good luck....

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where would i meter the compressor? and where would be the fuse? ill post a pic of setup

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i cant seem to figure out how to post pics it keeps saying file exceeds 195 kb limit or something like that

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yeah you have to shrink em if you dont have like a photobucket account... sucks. Anyway, if you have access to a 12vlt meter or test light, get a good ground with your black lead and you should have a butt connector or some form of a splice near the compressor on you hot wire "should be red wire heading into the compressor head". If you light up your test light or see any voltage over 11-12 volts on your meter you have power, if you dont then start checking near your battery for any aftermarket 8 to 4 gauge power wires heading to the rear for fuses. I've seen some set-ups that use the pressure switch lead to supply 12volts to the hot wire for the compressor "I don't recommend this way, a relay is better IMO". If that's how yours is set-up you'll have to meter or test your pressure switch to make sure it's energizing the other lead upon sensing a lost in air pressure. There's several ways to do the wiring of these set-ups so even a pic might not show much. If you have some basic knowledge of 12vlt wiring you should be able to hunt down weither your compressor is smoked or its simply a fuse or other wiring issue. Its a process of elimination.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Hopefully the wiring wasn't half assed when they installed it, I have seen that too many times, and it can cause higher amperage draw and heat in the compressor, causing it to fail. Outkastss has you on the right track. If they did it right it should have a circuit breaker as this is what I have done on the bag setups that I installed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts