Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM used basically the same switch and compressor since the dawn of time so finding parts is not really a problem.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 96 RMW where the load leveler compressor has crapped out. Also have one on my 89 Buick Electra Wagon (on then left fender well) that still works. The compressor and head look the same, and other than some wiring differences (different connectors is all), the newer system on my 96 RMW has a filter system that has a hose running to the compressor, right at the flange in the middle there's a hose barb connection. Old compressors on 80's and early 90's don't have the hose barb connection or the plastic filter that our newer cars have. Can I use the old compressor without hooking up the 'filter'?? Hate to spend $300 from Dal on a new compressor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These compressors are so common, on Cadillacs, wagons etc you can pick one up for 10% of new price at most any pick your own junkyard.

Since the filter does little good, why not use an older pump?

The newer ones seem to fail more often than the older ones, could be quality, could be position, could be most anything but so long as the pump produces air it should work for you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx Jaipea. You're right and that's the direction I was going anyway. I have an 89 Buick Wagon with the same pump/drier. The brackets are way different, so I swapped out the old bracket for the new one (so it would mount under the wheel well). Also, the electrical connections for the pump head (white and red wire) and compressor (green/black wire) were different, but I just spliced and used shrink tubing for watertight connections. WORKS GREAT NOW!! That damn filter GM uses on the newer setups is crap. It sucks water and road crap right in and puts it into the compressor. Damn the General.

Robert Tilton

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.