Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this question has probably been raised before. I have a 1996 Caprice Wagon. It had lived it's whole life in Oregon state until I brought it here nearly a year ago. I have paid all my registration fee's but had been unable to get plates due to smog. Had to change headers & cats to comply with smog. Now, I'm hearing that my intake won't pass either. I believe it is similar to the RAISS intake (filter in front with clear plexi-glass to divert air to filter). Are their any these style that can pass? I was hearing someone mention a sticker that could be obtained to pass? I really don't want to change it & go over to something like a K&N FIPK. What options do I have? The previous owner didn't keep any of the stock air intake equipment. I have spent at least $1000 trying to correct the exhaust & cat situation. Really don't want to spend much more. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!! :confused:

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Some have been able to find places that will let you slide on the visual inspection, and that's where the style of intake you have comes into play.
I have had a hard time finding one in my area. So whenever it's smog time, I put the stock intake baffles/box and air pump back on long enough to pass the test. (I keep all that stuff in a box marked smog in my garage.
My daughter just passed with here K&N on at a place here in town, so I'm going to try them this time around.

The point is you may have to find all the OEM equipment and put it on to pass the Smog Test. :(

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
K & N has a CARB sticker as do a couple of others(I think). Those and stock are the only ones that will pass visual. Why is all of this a surprise to you?

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
@Wagon, you need to find/borrow the stock stuff. Where are you located in CA exactly.

NOTE: I have heard of people and smog shops getting hunted down all due to what somebody posted on the internet. People get pretty fanatical with this smog BS. Watch what you type.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
maybe the cheapest way would be hit a junkyard for 95-96 B-body intake and put it on for smog

here in calif smog is a issue with the $300 version getting harder to find, especially on OBD2 (96).

I have stayed within the lines on smog since I bought my car in 96. did I leave some horsepower on the table doing so...YES. But my 383, heads/cam, header, cold air intake, T56, etc. passes with flying colors. The mods that can be seen have a CARB sticker which keeps the smog tech's book closed.

My K&N FIPK did come with a CARB sticker

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses!! I'm up in Nor-Cal. I'm thinking if I can't find the stock stuff for cheap, I'll go for a "used" K&N FIPK. It's just been a BIG hassle even though DMV has been pretty good to work with. All my fee's are paid & extension through September. Didn't help that I've had some health issues the past 5 months to deal with on top of all this, so thats why it has taken me so long. They seem to have it out for "Bordering" state cars (Arizona, Nevada, Oregon). If I would have bought this 10 miles north in Washington, I was told smog would have been easier. I wonder WHY that is?? :confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts