Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 ss. After I do the air pump delete and do the disable by removing the AIR pump relay and inserting the plug into air cleaner box. What I want to know is the reprogram for the car. Do I just go to a GM/Chevrolet dealership and tell them that I disabled the air pump and need the car reprogrammed or how does that work? Also how much would it cost to reprogram if anyone knows? thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just pull the air pump relay and see what happens. If you have the newest calibration you won't get a CEL. If the light goes on you'll have to either convince a dealer to update the cal ($100) or get a tune. But try first, maybe you won't need anything.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I did the air pump delete recently on my 96 SS as well. I contacted PCMforLess as recommended above, and had them reprogram a PCM, and add other goodies and it was only $200 and just took a few days to receive the Tuned PCM. Car runs great now, more power, better gas mileage, tranny shifts better, and not CELs.

·
Registered
8,056 Posts
I recall [Edit: the wrong location for the relay.] BALLSS posts the correct location below. And you're right - that's one stickie that lost most of its links. Except a TON of info on the manifold caps LOL

But you can get to the SS Handbook other ways on the forum.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
If AIR wasn't working before,there's a decent chance the dealer may have already programmed it out when car was serviced in the past. That's why folks are saying to try it first before having reflashed...

·
Registered
8,488 Posts
Way back when this was a TSB the GM procedure was to remove the relay, plug the air pump air inlet and affix a "sticker" (pic) noted in TSB (there was a part #). Dealership put the sticker on my core support back then FWIW. This was for 96 vehicles. 94-95 IIRC don't throw a CEL if air pump relay is pulled

FWIW there were clone stickers someone made that changed the word "disable" to "remove". I know first hand the smog referee in CA and B.A.R. that governs the ref's who have the language of TSB know otherwise that it says "disable". So if one was thinking of using a "clone" sticker" as the reason they can "remove" it....it won't fly under scrutiny if one lives in a location with emission testing and the tech. choses to actually look up the TSB because the air pump is missing. You would then fail emission test regardless of what tail pipe emissions are simply on "visual" inspection only

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
My AIR still works perfect. and I still have the OEM Opti.
But it's time to rid the AIR. I need to open the engine bay.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
All of the old technical archives are gone …
Thankfully, this is incorrect, though the link does appear to be floating outside of direct access from inside the ImpalaSS Forum at present.
Technical - Water in AIR Pump and/or DTC P0410, P0412, P0415, P0416, P0100, P0101, P0102 or DTC 48 (AIR System Disable Procedure) #01-06-04-011
My AIR still works perfect … but it's time to rid the AIR. I need to open the engine bay.
Technically, as of about 2001, your AIR pump is doing something it's not supposed to be doing.
It's supposed to be just sitting there doing nothing at all, idly dormant or dead, for people forced to comply with stupid rules.
If you're lucky, congratulations, $h!tcan it!

Although it is true that GM's latest calibrations for B- & D- LT1s permanently comatose the AIRpump, if you let GM flash it for you, it's a waste of your money & time.
For $200, you can permanently disable the AIR pump and its codes, AND get tuned to boot.
PCMperformance.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts