Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I failed the Texas state inspection test because my 96 RMW had a dtc code 0410, which is the secondary air injection system or smog pump. Trying to research this I found the TSB for the AIR pump disable. This would probably do the trick except that it requires the PCM to be reprogrammed, which I don't have the capability to do myself (as far as I know). Just for kicks I called the Buick dealer and they want $250 to do it. Seems like too much money, I'd much prefer to spend less $$$!

I suppose I could dive in and try to trouble shoot the system and start replacing parts. I thought I had it licked when I initially found a small plastic elbow coming off the left side air pump tubing that was broken off. It connected a small vacuum tube to a small electronic piece. I figured this must sense when the system is pressurized and when it doesn't sense pressure, it says the system is malfunctioning and trips the 0410 code. I fixed the elbow so the system is intact again and apparently my theory was wrong. I had disconnected the battery to reset the PCM and after two trips the check engine light came back on. Arghh.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
My local Chevy dealer charged me $40 as I recall. You could take this opportunity to get a mail-order tune from http://pcmperformance.com You'll definitely improve performance,and the AIR problem will be a thing of the past. Send Alex an email with your concerns. It would be a perfect time to change rear end ratio as well.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
many years ago I replaced the air pump and installed new manifold air check valves. this cost me 150.00 usd. the dealership wanted 120.00 usd to re-program the air pump delete so I just did the parts work.

today I would do the delete of the air pump. so members here have the info you need to do this properly. then you will need the PCM programed. 120USD is all that the gm dealership should charge for this I would try another service center.

you could ship out your PCM to have programed but what you save may not be much if this is your only ride.

just for the hell of it see if the air pump fuse is good / 25 amp fuse box under hood. called AIR ........

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Just for kicks I called the Buick dealer, and they want $250 to do it.
Seems like too much money; I'd much prefer to spend less $$$!
Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
http://www.pcmperformance.com/programming.html

"94-97 Camaro/Firebird, Corvette, Caprice/Impala SS, Roadmaster, Fleetwood 5.7 LT1/LT4, 4.3 L99 (OBD1/OBD2 LT1 PCM) $200"

For $50 less, you get it customised.
Even if you have no mods, think of it as updating GM's OEM program, while suiting it moreso to your tastes.

Among many other options, you should definitely specify that you want the AIRpump deactivated, of course.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Find an obd1 PCM from someone to use for your emissions test it already has air pump delete.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Find an obd1 PCM from someone to use for your emissions test it already has air pump delete.
Are you sure that will work? OBDI PCM in a 96 spec'd for OBDII? Will emission testing be compatible?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.