Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched for this topic, but all of the posts said "topic not found"??? I know this is a repost, but I am wanting to know what the pros/cons of the air pump delete mod are? and the recommended process and parts? thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unless your state does a visual underhood, you should be fine deleting it.

Mine is gone and I passed emissions with flying colors..

All the air pump does (if yours even works, mine didn't) is pump some fresh air into the exhaust stream to get the cats warmed up faster.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EASY, the car runs leaner because it's O2s "see" less air. when it "sees" more O2 in the exuast it starts to run it richer. I think that makes sence. also, your MPG will in crease a tad. which is a good thing on an LT1. To disable, pull the relay from the pass underhood fuse box, and plug the hole on the air box.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do you delete the air pump on a '94 9C1 with a L99?
Is there a write up somewhere I am not finding?

Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by pair8hd:

Thanks.
Should be a write up somewhere about it, but all you do is remove it, plug the holes in the manifold and air box, and pull the relay. I don't even think you will get a CEL on an OBD 1 94 either. But here's the catch, the TSB was only for 95 and 96 models...Since when GM did the TSB 94s were out of warranty. So if you have to pass emissions, you cannot disable it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by 96DCMSS:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by pair8hd:

Thanks.
Should be a write up somewhere about it, but all you do is remove it, plug the holes in the manifold and air box, and pull the relay. I don't even think you will get a CEL on an OBD 1 94 either. But here's the catch, the TSB was only for 95 and 96 models...Since when GM did the TSB 94s were out of warranty. So if you have to pass emissions, you cannot disable it. </font>[/QUOTE]Ok, thanks, that more info then I have found searching. Still can't find a detailed write up. Will I need a new serpantine belt? or will the stock one be ok?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The hole that needs to be plugged in the airbox, is it currently "plugged" with a blue insert that acts like a sensor?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you are going to the trouble to delete the air pump get yourself an aftermarket intake of some sort and do away completely with the box.

I deleted mine simply to make plug access easier.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by pair8hd:

Thanks.
Air pump, air pump? We don't need no stinkin' air pumps!

On my '94 (LT1) I just took the sucker off, pulled no relays or nothing, and capped the pipe, I think a rubber chair 'foot' on the steel pipe (I'll get around to removing the rest of it and capping the manifolds the right way sooner or later), the air box nipple is just the right size for a 12 gage shell.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.