Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Spring check-up revealed a blown underhood fuse for AIR pump. I have replaced it, but am curious what a not working AIR pump would do to the engine besides affecting emissions. May it also affect driveability, fuel economy? Chances are it is bad and will blow the new fuse soon.

·
Registered
976 Posts
It does ZERO far as driveability or fuel economy.
I would just pull the relay for it.
If you don't need the pump for inspection I'd yank it and all the related crap too.

GM even did a TSB to "disable" the air pump, they didn't remove it, but instead just made it non-operable and slapped a sticker stating so on the car(s).

https://www.impalassforum.com/tech/engine/air_pump/air_pump.htm

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Sure it blew new fuse right away. Screw it - I'll leave it alone. :)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
A lot of people just remove the AIR pump. That cleans up the engine compartment. I sell an inexpensive sticker for removing the AIR pump that you put on the radiator mount. It isn't legal to remove the AIR pump, but a lot of people do it anyway. PM me if you want to buy a sticker.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A lot of people just remove the AIR pump. That cleans up the engine compartment. I sell an inexpensive sticker for removing the AIR pump that you put on the radiator mount. It isn't legal to remove the AIR pump, but a lot of people do it anyway. PM me if you want to buy a sticker.
Thank you for the offer. It is not a priority right now. Never noticed the related fuse was blown. Will leave the AIR pump alone for now since it does not affect anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts