Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason, my rear shocks have decided to be fully extended, i.e., I need a ladder to get in the trunk. I had been hauling sand bags around for weight, but I took them out when the weather got better--maybe they messed up the system? At any rate, I don't hear the compressor running or anything; they're just up there. I could understand it being squished down, but why is it raised up?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
wonkey? ;)

I've seen this happen to a wagon once or twice. IIRC, there is a release valve which is supposed to open when the sensor arm detects that the ride height is too high. The valve releases air pressure to lower the shocks. What I don't remember is what had to be done to fix it. Not much help, I know, sorry.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
replace them with real shocks and never look back.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have a defective 'exhaust solenoid' (up at the compressor) that releases pressure when demand is removed. Not aware of new replacement - probably some yard time in your future. Or, much preferably just do what (Magnum) says with Bilstiens and Airlift 1000s.

Very very very better.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can I just go into my local NTB and buy some regular, non-fancy (cheap) shocks and have them put them on? What do I tell them? They'll probably not like the air ride deal when they punch up "cheap Fleetwood shocks" in the computer. Do I need to unhook something or otherwise bypass the system?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My RMW has Bilstiens in the rear. I'm sure you can find others that work as well.

Just unplug at the air pump so it doesn't run. Install new shocks. Done.

One thing to mention though. If you think you will ever decide to go back to the air shocks, you'll want to protect the plug you disconnect. Mine sat unplugged for a couple years and the blade connectors ended up corroding badly enough that I had to replace the plug.

HTH! Mike

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just get some 9C1 springs and some cheap Monroe or Gabriel shocks.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whoa, why do I need springs? I've got springs. Won't they work with regular shocks, or is it going to sit all low, or what? I don't want to replace the springs.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, on most Fleetwoods, especially those with miles, the rear springs just aren't stiff enough to support the car without aid of the air levelers and pressure. So, take them off, and the car usually sags a bit. Less if it were new, but from what I've read, the system is designed so the rear always has to have just a little lift from the air shocks, so the springs don't do it all.

Sounds like yours still work, though--just that the valve, or whatever, has gone screwy (either temporarily or for good). Before anything else, I'd try and find out more about that and fix/replace it.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stock Fleetwood rear springs + Regular non-air shocks = very low rear end. Those stock rear springs are not made to hold up that weight.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On a positive note, I bought a set of brand new 9C1 springs from Autozone for ~$90.00 for the pair.

You can get a pair of heavy duty Gabriel rear shocks for ~$40.00 for the pair.

That is the price of ONE Cadillac rear air shock!!

I am going to swap the Impala SS springs in the rear for the 9C1 springs because the car just sits too low in the rear with the SS springs.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by 96Fleetwood:
On a positive note, I bought a set of brand new 9C1 springs from Autozone for ~$90.00 for the pair.

You can get a pair of heavy duty Gabriel rear shocks for ~$40.00 for the pair.

That is the price of ONE Cadillac rear air shock!!

I am going to swap the Impala SS springs in the rear for the 9C1 springs because the car just sits too low in the rear with the SS springs.
Does the store actually have a police/heavy duty specification to label them as 9C1 springs, or how do you know they are? I only ask because, although typically a bit different, their online data lists 2 springs for the rear, but nothing specific.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by Revoh.:

With Impala SSes, upgrades are elective and optional. With Fleetwoods they're mandatory and imperative.

Not to mention combinationally additive, eh?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On another note, Revoh, I guess there just wasn't enough interest in the FW when you were selling it? Terrific car, and the deal of getting your father's low mileage SS certainly sounded partially attractive.

Either way, maybe just say a prayer that the air releases itself magically and puts the car back to normal all on its own...

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by caddyguy109:
Does the store actually have a police/heavy duty specification to label them as 9C1 springs, or how do you know they are? I only ask because, although typically a bit different, their online data lists 2 springs for the rear, but nothing specific.
Look under Impala SS and pick the heavy duty rear springs. Those are the same spring as the 9C1 spring (Ralph confirmed this with me).

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by Revoh.:
Can I just go into my local NTB and buy some regular, non-fancy (cheap) shocks and have them put them on? What do I tell them? They'll probably not like the air ride deal when they punch up "cheap Fleetwood shocks" in the computer. Do I need to unhook something or otherwise bypass the system?
revoh for right now just pull the 30 amp fuse from the under hood fuse box, adn the car will stay level, then check under the car and see if the level ride unit in the back did not come out of it's place adn got push up, that's why your compressor keeps running, so check that first, then if everything it's fine, but if you want to have the back down a little, just get under find the hose for the rear shocks, adn take it out a little to let the air out, so the back will come back down, once you see the level you want, plug it back in and leave it, and you won't have to mess with them again, the compressor and shock will hold the air in, adn you won't have to change shock or springs, since the system is seal, it will stay the way you want to, but if ever it goes down, just put the fuse in the slot adn it will bring it back up, once it's up again, take the fuse out, don't have to buy anything.
good luck

[ 12-15-2006, 05:51 AM: Message edited by: caplt4 ]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts