Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I will leave my AirLift AirBags in, since I do tow sometimes,
*IF* I autocross, what PSI should I run?
Also, if I road race, what PSI should I run?
Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How is the rest of your suspension (shocks/springs/swaybars/tires/wheels) set up right now?

I don't know if you're gonna find a "definite" answer on this. May just take some trial and error.

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AutocroSSer,
Well, "it's got cop tires, cop suspension - no cigarette lighter."

And that's true, it only has the 9C1 suspension and Impala rims. I will be entering it in a drag race, autocross, road race event...and so I guess I just need a "good general idea" for what to set the PSI at...

THANKS!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, knowing that...

The stock SS (and 9C1) setup is dialed in pretty severely towards understeer. Fortunately, you can help this by making the rear end stiffer (i.e. air into the bags). This will be offset a little by the higher center of gravity (since the air will raise the car), but overall you definitely want stiffer in back.

I'd try something like 15-20lbs in back, and go out and see how the car handles on a sweeper curve. Does it still "push" (i.e. front tires lose traction first) or is the rear end trying to come around on you? If it is pushing, try more air in the rear. If it is oversteering, let some air out.

Also, go throw about 45-50 PSI in the tires before you do this. A general setup on pressures that should work (street tires, stock suspension) is about 50 PSI in front, 35 PSI in back (for AutoX). For Roadrace, try about 35 PSI all around.

Hope this helps!

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Ed,
Actually I was meaning airbag PSI, do I want the same airbag psi in both springs for autocross/road race or should it vary - left/right? (I think I read 8psi driver, 23psi passenger for DRAG RACE only)

As far as TIRE PSI goes, even "if" my tires are rated at 44 psi MAX, should I really put 50 psi in them???
Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think when Ed said try 15 or 20 PSI he was talking about the airbags, and when he said the 45-50 he was talking about your tires. Just air up the bags 15-20 because all you wanna do is stiffen the rearend a little bit, you still want to keep the car down low. You want a high tire PSI when AutoXing because otherwise you will be spending a lot of time driving on your sidewalls, and that will cause your tires to fail leaving you to not be able to finish the course. Even though street tires say to put them to 30 or 35 psi, it is generally ok to put them much higher to AutoX then lower them back down before you hit the streets.

------------------

95 9C1 BBB, stock so far underhood, Impala Cloned on the outside.
2000 Z28 M6, also black, also still stock.
1993 454SS, also black, way beyond stock, but still street legal.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, for short periods the stock tires will be absolutely fine with 50 (or even 55) PSI in them. Just be sure you air them down before going back on the street.

And yes, run the same pressure in both rear airbags.

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For drag race run the 5-8lb minimum in the driver side and experiment on the right. Some of the drag racers run one air bag in the passengers side (none on the drivers.) 20 psi on the right may be a good place to start, or ask SSmokem George. I think he runs one airbag and drag races.

------------------
Rich A 95 1A2 SEO Wagon
Austin, TX

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.