Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the works of installing bags in my 91 caprice and have gotten to the point of setting up the rear bags. I've been emailing people here trying to get different ideas, I want to lay with 18's, all the notching that has to be done is done! but what I find is that using the factory trailing arms, when the rear end comes up it starts to roll forward because the upper arms are shorter then the lower. building a new 4-link setup was not in my plan. So want im asking is how do other people setup the brackets for the upper and lower bag mounts. What i did was make a flat plate on the upper spring mounts and put a small bracket on the axle but cuz the rear end rolls the bag twists alot. Please posts pictures if you have them

Oh, and by the way, yes the trunk floor is cut out!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just an opinion, so please take this as just an idea... the brackets for the lower bag mount need to be realigned to handle the suspension at ride (driving) height....It is or should be easier on the bag to bind in the flat mode (parked unloaded)... it looks in your picture that it is at ride pressure so the brackets need to be relocated on the axle....

May i ask whats up with the floor?????

Tom

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I would do is just unbolt the bag from the axle, then weld a plate that sticks out towards the front of the axle a little for the bag to rest on. Just leave the bag unbolted on the bottom though. Thats how mine are. That way when you lift the car the bag doesnt rip from the weight of the axle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First off the floor was cut out so it could be raised up, allowing the tank to be raised up about 2 inches because i want to be able to drag the car down the road and not worry about the tank.

With having the bags not bolted at the bottom wouldnt they slip out of place?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by show-boat:
With having the bags not bolted at the bottom wouldnt they slip out of place?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, because they'll still be bolted at the top. My axle has a "cup" bracket on the bottom bolted to the frame, but the bag is not attached to it. On top it is bolted straight to the upper spring mounts, and the trunk is cut for access to that. I would make the bottom bracket stick out towards the front of the car though, cause when its fully dropped, only about half of the bottom of my bag rests on the axle bracket. I'm not worried about it, but if I were to do it again then I might as well make it to where it stuck out for that reason.

BTW, your bag IS way stretched out on those pics. You probably will have leaks now, or soon if they keep stretching like that... trust me I went through two of em like that before I redid the brackets.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SLMDCSS: what is the size of this cup on the axle? diameter, height? because im thinking that the bag might get pintched on that cup cuz its not going to sit in the same place everytime.

I dont care about those bags that are used in those pics there just **** bags given to me cuz there screwed i have new one that go in once everything is right!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>My axle has a "cup" bracket on the bottom bolted to the frame, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That part i dont understand! you said on the axle and frame?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by show-boat:
My axle has a "cup" bracket on the bottom bolted to the frame, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That part i dont understand! you said on the axle and frame?
What the hell was I talking about, lol. I confused myself too. I meant it has the bracket bolted to the axle. Its the same diameter as a coil spring bag bracket, but I'm not sure how high it is (did this 2 years ago). I set mine up to where the bag was fully deflated, but without pressure on it when it was at full drop. When the frame sits on the axle there is only another .5" travel in the bag. That way I get the most lift out of it. So you should set your up like this too, which I'm assuming you've already done. If so, then just weld a piece of 2x4 steel to the axle, with a c cut into it, and let it stick out towards the front just a bit. Just make sure you dont end up adding any height to the bottom mount if yours is measured as tight as mine is. You got aol im or msn? If so, I'm slmdcss on aol and [email protected] on msn.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.