Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I trailered a car with my '95 Caprice wagon from Chicago to Memphis for an event. On the way down, the Airlift system won't hold air. I assume blown bag. Nobody seems to have a replacement in Memphis before I make the trip back on Sunday. If anyone has a place I can try, let me know.

I see some companies make air shocks. Any advantage of air shocks vs air bags?

FYI, I'm at the fbodyevent ? fbodyevent . We started out more than 20 years ago as f-body only but now it's anything you want to bring. If you want plenty of drag race, autocross, or road course time this is a great event with a small group of enthusiast friends that have been doing this for a couple decades. New friends always welcomed to join the fun!

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
A new entire set runs ~$100 nowadays, - up from $70 a few years back. You can of course contact Airlift to see if single pieces are available - likely 2/3 the cost of a new set. I had a bag blow after 15 years only AFTER a muff shop replaced an OTA pipe too close. Even after stating they be mindful of.

You refer to "not holding air", and also "blowout". Whether just a leak or the latter, try to locate he failure first. The bag may have failed from closeness to exhaust than anything else. Mandatory to use the supplied heat shields on B/D bodies.

The legitimate dampening performance in any airshock will not come close to that of a quality separate shock. You're getting a low performing shock that is relying on the airbag to provide the majority of dampening - and also double-dutying as a spring. Stick with separates.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts