Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is the service bulletin specifically for the 95/96 airpump removal? What about 94 owners that want to remove the airpump? Can they do so without failing an emissions inspection since the sticker is for the later years?

I don't understand GM's reasoning? (What else is new?)!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Dan,

I remember seeing this question before. I don't recall the exact details, but the answer had to do with a 7 year issue - the 95s and 96s, at the time of the SBs issue, were within the 7 year time frame. The 94s were not, so the bulletin excluded them. I think is a liability issue more than anything else.

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At the time, NO 94s were still covered under 7 yr/100K mile emissions warranty. Thus, GM didn't bother.

BTW, did this delete this past weekend, using the cermachromed header caps (on my Tri-Ys of course) from GForceSS. Worked like a champ, and that engine bay looks SO much cleaner without the AIR pump :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Z28_Sedan:
There are only 6303 '94 owners out there so who cares? (just kidding!) :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh, there's another hundred thousand or so non-Impala B-bodies out there

Someone already got the answer right - it's the whole 7-year issue with the EPA. This is the same reason that the warranty coverage was extended on the EGR valves (no, it wasn't because GM actually cares about their customers ;) ).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ditto what Ed said. It really does clean things up! I've never owned a vehicle where I could see the front of the block! I did it the anal way, and took the A/C compressor loose to remove the cross pipe. I even put a washer on the stud, to replace the standoff on the tube, to keep the compressor aligned. It was a PITA! I got plugs for $1.50 (as seen on 9C1.com) a peice, and everything fits & looks great!! Best of all, I have a hood light now! By the way, did anyone else find a tag stuffed into the soft plug hole behind the AIR pump bracket with a 3 letter code on it???

The rest of you guys are simply riding on the coattails of the 6303 '94s.
;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Makes sense, but what about emissions testing for 94 owners that have removed the airpump? I have a customer who wants to do this but is afraid of failing a visual. What do you guys think? He could obviously install the new sticker but does the sticker list years authorized or not?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The sticker I have, is simply a statement regarding the deletion, and the TSB #. Nothing else. There's a picture of it on the b-body site.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I removed my airpump and accesories prior to emmission this year. I was talking cars with the inspector and when he poped the hood for the visual stuff he noticed the air pump deletion and I happily pointed out the TSB sticker ;). he then looked up in his "book" then looked @ me and smiled and closed the hood. So I think he knew, but did not care. Hell he did not even take the wheels off the car to check the brakes since i had expresed my dislike of the use of "torque sticks" on the impact wrenches. But of course on our cars it is fairly easy to inspect the brakes w/o pulling the wheels.

But I have kept all of my airpump stuff so I can install the pump and make it look installed if I had too to pass inspection.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's a good Q for all of you.
How about doing a delete on a '94 with a '97 Z28 LT1. I live in the Chicago area and have to go get it passed again soon. If the motor is newer should I not be able to do this delete and pass?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fuzzychevy:
Here's a good Q for all of you.
How about doing a delete on a '94 with a '97 Z28 LT1. I live in the Chicago area and have to go get it passed again soon. If the motor is newer should I not be able to do this delete and pass?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to the Feds, you need to retain all the '97 Z28 emissions equipment to maintain legality. However, if you want to be slightly dishonest, call it a '96 B-body motor if you're running an OBDII PCM or a '95 B-body motor if you're running an OBDI PCM - they probably won't bother checking block numbers. Either option will allow you to delete the airpump.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
unless they actually know that the most obvious difference is the aluminum heads.
They never even popped the hood last time, however I was still running the stock motor, but it still had a 'loud' exhaust.
Nick- it's on the driver's side, front of engine block under the coil. Has a few black rubber hoses coming out, to exhaust manifolds and one to the airbox.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fuzzychevy:
unless they actually know that the most obvious difference is the aluminum heads.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe that you can legally run aluminum heads on a B-body motor. If not, there's always black grille paint :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.