Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My alignment has worn the inside 1" of my tires down to the belts on both of my front tires. I had an alignment done 2 times in the last 2 years. My last alignment was done by the dealership 6 months ago and I told them at that time that i was getting wear on the inside tread. It seems that they didn't adjust the camber or tow enough. I had my tires rotated first to before going to the dealership to get the alignment. Now in that time period I've worn through 2 more tires on the inside corner.

So, is this something that they can adjust in the next alignment? Do you think that I may have front end parts that are wearing out that will continue to cause this? I had replaced the shocks with Bilsteins about 30-40k miles ago. I had new endlinks and sway bar bushings put in in the last year. I also had a new heavy duty idler arm put in also in the last year or so.

The dealership recommended getting the new tires on first and then re-align the car (or check to see if it needs it).

Has anyone else experienced this problem and resolved it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First : have a good front end place check ALL of the components in the front end. Idler, centerlink, tierods, and balljoints. Replace anything that isn't up to spec. At your miles and considering the idler is fairly new, I'll hazard a GUESS that the centerlink and lower balljoints are shot and that the rest is fine.

Next, find a GOOD alignment shop (from the sounds of it, this dealer doesn't qualify). Ask the SCCA AutoXers around you where THEY go : they are picky on alignments, and know where is right and where is junk. Hand the shop the specs from B-body.net BUT make sure they go TIGHT on the tolerances. Many tire issues, I believe, are from alignments that are technically "in spec" but at the edges of the specs.

Note that there is a good chance you'll have to pay more than the standard $39.95 to get this "done right" alignment, since they'll have to spend more time on the car. That's OK : you'll more than make up the $$$ difference in increased tire life and decreased suspension wear.

If aligned right, our front suspension is VERY easy on tires. But it's all in the alignment, and making sure the parts are up to snuff.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When my brother in law was the store manager of a tire shop, he used to "let" me stop by and align my own SS for free. Of course, he would ask me to do a few other vehicles as well.
Well, it was a Hunter rack. The older ones have to be calibrated every few months. The newer ones (with wireless sensors) don't. Ask when they were calibrated.
Avoid getting it done on a saturday. This is the busiest day and it is hard for a mechanic to take his time when there are a lot of cars backed up waiting for an alignment.
Don't put too much trust into that before and after printout they give you. It is a snapshot. for example, you'll adjust the tierods and see the toe get within spec. you can print it. Yet, this can change when you tighten the lock nuts.
Camber and caster take time to do as it is hit and guess with shims that like to fall.In summary,it really doesn't take a genius to do a good alignment. What it takes is someone with patience and a good rack.
Always inquire about the rack. Stay away from the ancient non electronic ones! It helps if they take pride in their stuff. For example, a Meineke opened near me and they were one of the first in NV to have the latest Hunter rack with wireless sensors, self calibration, etc and it was sweet! The manager showed it to me and talked for 15 minutes on how it worked better than the oder racks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.