Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the alignment spec info from the b-body.net website still help me out if I have lowered the SS a little bit with a set of eibach springs, or does this info only apply to a stock SS?

Getting a wheel alignment soon, and wondering if the spec info would still apply.

-Tony

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yes, with the only "gotcha" being that if the car is VERY lowered (say 2-3 inches from stock SS height) and depending on wear in the frame, it may not be possible to get the camber setting to what those specs say (you'll end up more negative than the specs). If that is the case, there are solutions but they require spending some $ to fix it.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thx Ed.

I am not too low, maybe a little over 1" to an 1.5" from stock.

Now I hope I can locate a place that will take the b-body.net info.

Thx again.

-Tony

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tony, I took my SS to Big Brand Tires in Oxnard. I gave them the b-body.net specs. Go to www.bigbrandtires.com and I think they have some alignment coupons?

Later,

David

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AutocroSSer:
Yes, with the only "gotcha" being that if the car is VERY lowered (say 2-3 inches from stock SS height) and depending on wear in the frame, it may not be possible to get the camber setting to what those specs say (you'll end up more negative than the specs). If that is the case, there are solutions but they require spending some $ to fix it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you sure the B-Body geometry works this way? I mean, it's classic front suspension architecture to have negative camber at end of the suspensions travel (compressed) and more positive at the bottom (extended)...but, everytime I jack my car up and get the front end in the air, I can't help but notice MORE negative camber when the A-arms are topped out vs when the car is on the ground. And it seems that if I jack up a rear corner, the opposite tire on the front would show more positive camber.
Am I making sense?
It obviously has to do with the length of the upper CA vs lower.

The point is, if I'm right (who knows), he would have more positive camber to correct for, requiring the use of more shims in the upper A arm support.

I first noticed this when I rebuilt my front suspension with the PST super polygraphite kit. When I put everything back together, including the wheels (but NOT the shims), I noticed that the axis of the front suspension (looking from straight on) was perpendicular to the ground, as opposed to the top of the tires being more in (negative camber). Furthermore, I noticed an INCREASE in positive camber when I lowered the car. What do you make of this?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good catch, and you're right. DOH

Due to how our front suspension geometry is set up (basically, length and mounting point of the lower control arm and same for the upper control arm) the camber will get more positive if you lower it.

That said : it is possible you'll run out of camber adjustability (i.e. be stuck with it too positive) with a lowered car. If that's the case, then the "offset" upper control arm cross shafts (Moog makes them, probably others too?) are what you'll need. They allow a little more adjustability in front camber/caster from stock cross shafts.

It's Friday, I need a beer :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts