Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I need to buy a set of tires now so this seems like a good time to address this issue. My car is brutal on front tires, RF eats the inside edge LF eats the outside edge. No feathering. It has beaten 3 sets of tires to death, I have had the car alinged 4 times by 3 different places and always used the specs listed on this forum for "better tire wear" (not the sportier setting). I did a complete rebuild on the suspensionabout 10K ago, first 2 sets of tires before the rebuild 3rd set now. Any advice on this would be appreciated.
Thanks
Nick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any good alignment shop will give you the before and after actual measurements for the alignment.
Post what the actual figures were (or are) and perhaps it will be easier to evaluate the problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was afraid somebody was going to ask that. All places did, I had them then I moved offices and I don't know where they are.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lots of times, places will do a free alignment check. Find a local tire store (chain stores are usually the places to go) and get it checked out, and then post specs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by loweredd:
Find a local tire store (chain stores are usually the places to go) and get it checked out, and then post specs.
I don't agree. It's been my experience over the years, to STAY AWAY from chain Tire/Alignment Shops[at least in NYC area].
I've tried many, and they'll all snap-snap out the door. I could tell you some Horror Storys.

IMO, ask Gearhead/Racing types for the best INDEPENDENT Alignment guy in your area. I'd bet you'll keep coming up with the same one or two Competent Shop/s.
Don't be afraid to pay a little more, go to someone that's recommended/established.

When it comes to Alignment, you must be selective.
Too many half asses in this field!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree. The only time I had a car done by a chain is was messed up from day one.
Do to a trust worthy little shop that the racers like. I have never had a problem with the little shop I go to. I still even request he uses the old style bubble of the front end than the computer. They still even use a scrub gauge to see how much the front end is dragging.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The specs on our cars are pretty loose so many of the chain stores just set the toe and call it a day. I have my car aligned at a shop that caters to the local SCCA racers. I stay with the car. It can take from 1 to 3 hours with road testing to get the car aligned precisely. They charge by the hour but you get what you pay for.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a similar problem, both front tires wear on the inside since I droped the beasst..I did go to a shop aligned it, but they prob botched the job... :(
I searched for some specs on the forum (with the search fonction), I did not find what I was looking for (prob did not use the correct words...).
The SS is dropped about 2 inches :rolleyes:is there some body with a correct linky?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know if my problem has been solved. The baby has been put to bed for the winter! I ned to get some miles on it before I can see the tire wear.
Does it make a difference if the front end is dropped? I would assume so, but I haven't done any research into that aspect of it. My initial thoughts are that depends on what you've done to the Steering Axis Inclination (SAI) angle. But, I'm sure that there are people on the forum with more knowledge that I in that area.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, Ill make a search for the dropped topic!

If nothing turns up, new topic it will be ! :rolleyes:

thanks for the time

Louich out

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dont have a chain store around my town, only normal shops. I know one who is not bad, but I wanted to know whats to chek before doing work and paying $$ for the alingment. The free alingment tcheck is in the ase that they cannot do the job right !
they say well your car is bent see yaaa. ( happend 2 years ago )

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by loweredd:
Guys, I didnt say to get an alignment at the "chain store", but simply to get the free check.
Beware of the free check, too!
In my neck of the woods[not really], these places tend to JACK your ass up, stating you need all/almost Front End components.

:eek: STICK to the recommended independent for FE check also.
If they're competent, they will not do Alignment, if one or more components are worn/defective!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by big L:
the main reason why one of your best buddie should be a mecanics :D
Thats the strange thing here. First time; chain store, recheck and said it is fine, chain store, sick of this, go to the guy that all the car guys in town swear by, little shop 2 brothers got it from their dad, same thing, 4th time Good friend of mine, I do a lot of business with him (where he is the customer) and I talk to him practically daily, owns a big European joint and is really good, I ask him to do a big ugly american car he says sure. He sets it same thing. I will try one more time, I am putting tires on in the next week or two and I am going to monitor them very closly. If there is any sign of uneven wear I will take it to another place and get it worked on again.
Nick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll tchek with the align. specs that old timer gave us first thing in the spring for sure. My tire have 2 weeks and a 1/2 of wear only so I'm prob gonna post up when the beasst get out. But keep us posted on the subject, I'd appreciate.

BTW is your car dropped ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes it is but I have no idea how much, I really should have measured that before I started, not much, it has 9C1 spring cut, 3/4 coil.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.