1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
15,727 Posts
Nice. Any idea what the difference is between the two models? Which one for a '96 SS?

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
I found this gem the other day and ordered one.
It's no mistake... for now....

http://www.shepherdautoparts.com/all_aluminum_radiator/chevrolet/caprice/1995.html

Nab
That is a Great price, you would almost expect a "1" to be in front of the number in the price. I wonder if that is a mistake on their part...I don't need one but at that price I'd be crazy not to at least order one. The Silla aluminum rads were about twice as much.

Just for shyts and gigs I checked the rads out for a 70 Monte Carlo and a 70's Camaro. Both were either 2 or 3 core and the pricing was still around $65. So maybe their pricing on these is just really cheap....hope the part is not built cheap.

Nice. Any idea what the difference is between the two models? Which one for a '96 SS?
Based on what I saw in the pics.....they both have the transmission cooler but if you look on the left side, only 1 has the engine oil cooler built in. So one could be for the impala with engine oil cooler and the other could be for a 9c1 car or someone running the external oil cooler. But based on my findings with the stock rads, either rad will fit in the car if you wish to add the oil cooler later, you got the internal cooler if you want it. If you don't want to use it, just block off the 2 ports.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The one with both the tranny cooler and oil cooler is for an SS.
If you have an external engine oil cooler get the other one.

Forgot to mention... this IS the Silla radiator by the way ;)

Sad part is I bought my first one of these a couple months ago off
of Amazon from the same company and paid $150!!!

Nab

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Great deal Nab! Those are Silla rads. A couple years back, I picked up the 2 row for about $30 more. Has been in since and never had any issues w/ it.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Only thing i see missing is you need to transfer your mounting brackets for the electrical fans, from old RAD to new one, if you have a stock SS....

Nice find Nab !!!
-ALF out...

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
ditto on the great deal!
they also have the ac condensor at $30.

·
Premium Member
15,727 Posts
Got one on the way. Thanks nab.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Got mine today - 24 hours after ordering it! LA to San Diego via FedEx for $10. Thanks for the heads up on this OP.

May or may not keep it.

2 issues.

They list 2396AA for all 94 - 96. But only 94 has the nipple to the reservoir. I use a later 96 reservoir and didn't notice in the pic. So their website is not quite correct. I always order for 96 Caprice because so many part houses don't recognize Impala or Roadmaster. Most other replacement radiators are 95 - 95 type without nipple. Really don't like that. I can block it off like previous original but don't like the look.

And the petcock was messed up. I could replace with another but why should I have to.

For the bargain price it is probably excellent value - adequate but somewhat rough soldering in places.

EDIT: Check the link below. The 2395AA (without oil cooler) has the correct side tank without nipple as on stock 95 and 96.

http://www.shepherdautoparts.com/all_aluminum_radiator/chevrolet/caprice/1995.html

I will contact Shepherd and see what they say.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe they all have the over flow nipple.
You could block it off, but I T'd it into the hose coming
from the coolant crossover pipe for extra internal bleeding.

Nab

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Like others wrote for the $hits & Giggles, I decided to see if they listed one for the '96 9C1. They list only as a caprice (Not caprice classic), and the price is even cheaper for that model; $49.28!

Caprice Radiator Listing

I may just get one of these, and put it on the shelf until I get my rebuilt engine installed.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Like others wrote for the $hits & Giggles, I decided to see if they listed one for the '96 9C1. They list only as a caprice (Not caprice classic), and the price is even cheaper for that model; $49.28!

Caprice Radiator Listing

I may just get one of these, and put it on the shelf until I get my rebuilt engine installed.
Just as an FYI, the link you have posted has Plastic tanks....not an ALL Aluminum rad.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Just as an FYI, the link you have posted has Plastic tanks....not an ALL Aluminum rad.
I did notice that, and wasn't wild about that.

I didn't check out the link from the OP to see that it is an all AL radiator. I'm definitely down for the all AL piece, and not one with plastic.

Thanks for pointing that out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well I was lucky enough to score a 2 row Silla (2395-2AA) from Shepards yesterday for $150. Apparently it was the last one left. Seems pretty nice for being made in China!!

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
Well I was lucky enough to score a 2 row Silla (2395-2AA) from Shepards yesterday for $150. Apparently it was the last one left. Seems pretty nice for being made in China!!
just note that yours is the engine oil cooler delete model.

worked on mine some last night after work, finished bolting it in and have to fill and bleed it and make sure no leaks.
I did notice the fins will bend in a heartbeat if you stare hard at them cwm3

heres the napa bypass plug on the unused nipple, have to relocate the clamp to prevent stabbing.

new condensor from Shepard installed also, the top of the tanks are the only things visible on the new radiator cwm5

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah I'm running a 9c1 oil cooler so the oil cooler delete one was perfect for my application. I did notice after sneezing next to the radiator a couple fins did bend over!!! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well...i guess i needed to do a little more research before ordering.
I picked up the single row and started the install today...the fan brackets don't fit directly, they are too wide.
i have a 1995 Caprice wagon (tow package) with the oil and tranny cooler in the radiator.
I purchased the 2396AA...did i screw up or is the radiator wrong?

I guess i will have to modify the brackets to hold the fans.
Has anyone else had this issue, it looks like everyone is just swapping the brackets over.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts