Discussion Starter #1
So here is the skinny... replaced the following:
OpticSpark
Wires
Plugs
Water pump
Thermostat
Cold 🥶 Air intake system
Fuel pump was just replace prior to the above.
Removed the air pump system
Capped off pipes to manifold where the pump connected.

Go to start her up & she will crank but won’t catch ... I have checked my work and I can not determine what the issue is... gonna have a buddy look at it at his shop due to me having eyes on it for too long. If anyone knows any thing that I’m missing please feel free to let me know.
Caprice Classic’96 LT1

·
Registered
24 Posts
3 things are needed for combustion; spark, fuel and compression. Regardless if new parts are installed, that's where you need to start. Do you know what you're missing?

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Aftermarket opti's are known to occasionally be DOA though too..... so never assume that just because it's new it's good.
+1 What he said.

OP - which opti did you install?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Start by listening - can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key before cranking? Have a buddy squat near the back of the car if you're not sure. They're pretty loud. If you can hear it prime, then it's time to check fuel pressure. There's a handy Schrader valve on the fuel rail on the intake - should be about 42psi at idle IIRC? Harbor Freight sells a cheap fuel pressure gauge setup, car parts stores may have them to loan as well? If that all checks out, time to check for spark when cranking - could be as simple as sticking a "spark checker" on the coil.

Volumes have been written about the process though, so you should be able to search up a good bit of info on here and the rest of the net. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts