Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just installed Alpine 6x9s in the rear and 4x6s in the doors, and i'm looking for an Alpine receiver that is compatible and will sound good through USB or Aux input with an iTouch.

I'm looking to spend under $250 if possible... I've seen some of the lower end Alpines but read bad reviews when it comes to iPod/iTouch compatibility.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I have an Alpine CDA-117 (I think, didn't run out to the garage to check, just looked up Alpine's website to look at the pics) and the ipod works just fine with the included ipod cable. You get the usb cable, then another eight inch cable with an ipod connector that allows you to control the ipod through the stereo, as well as charge the ipod. I can't imagine Alpine would design different ipod interfaces for other head units, so as long as you get a newer model, it should work just fine. The older ones did have some issues, though, so make sure you steer clear of those.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Maesstro!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I'm running a 9855 (2005 model) and I have an adapter that let's me control my iPod by hand. It connects to the dock connector, but mine doesn't charge my iPod. They do make ones that charge it, but I didn't get one. I should have, but I didn't. That's better than any integrated control feature. Every integrated control I've seen has been slow. You just can't beat it by hand.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah i don't care much for the integrated control on the receiver itself, i'd rather pick the songs i want to play with my ipod in my hand, it's easier and faster.

So all the receivers i see have the USB cable coming from the rear of the unit. Do you use the cable that comes out of the rear? Or do you use the USB input on the front of the unit? (if yours has it on the front). That's what i'm curious about the most. If you run the usb connector/adaptor from the back of the receiver, is it long enough? And where do you run it so it looks neat?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Mine has the cable running out the back of the unit. I run it into the glove box with the adapter and just leave the ipod in there. I'm not sure if there's an option to control the ipod by hand, to be honest. Once plugged in, the ipod locks you out and the controls default to the receiver, but maybe there is a way to disable that function. If you want to control the ipod by hand, then look for a receiver with an auxiliary input, rather than usb cable. Either way, I recommend taking your ipod to a shop and playing around with their models.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260632160779&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

That's the cable I run in my car and in my Jeep. In my car, I run it into the convenience tray and it's only visible when I'm using my iPod. In my Jeep, there's really nowhere good to run it so it comes out the bottom of the dash and "hides" by my parking break. That one plugs directly into the Ai-Net connection on the back of any 2003 or newer Alpine radio. You must go into the settings on the radio and turn on the auxiliary input in order for it to work. There are a set of power cables that you can hook up so you can charge your iPod; the one I linked to will charge any iPod, not just the 12 volt iPods. From my experience, hooking up the iPod charging cables does introduce noise into the system so I don't necessarily recommend it. I don't have the charger hooked up in either my Jeep or my car. My iPod holds a charge for a few days of listening to music anyway, at least for how I use it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260632160779&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

That's the cable I run in my car and in my Jeep. In my car, I run it into the convenience tray and it's only visible when I'm using my iPod. In my Jeep, there's really nowhere good to run it so it comes out the bottom of the dash and "hides" by my parking break. That one plugs directly into the Ai-Net connection on the back of any 2003 or newer Alpine radio. You must go into the settings on the radio and turn on the auxiliary input in order for it to work. There are a set of power cables that you can hook up so you can charge your iPod; the one I linked to will charge any iPod, not just the 12 volt iPods. From my experience, hooking up the iPod charging cables does introduce noise into the system so I don't necessarily recommend it. I don't have the charger hooked up in either my Jeep or my car. My iPod holds a charge for a few days of listening to music anyway, at least for how I use it.

I grounded the ipod where the deck is grounded and it got rid of elec. noise.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Yeah I think you have to use the 3.5mm jack to be able to control Songs through Ipod.

Thats all you need, and thats what I run.

Find a 3.5mm to RCA adapter. My CDA-7897 has an input to put rca in to the H/U. It cost me about $20 for it through crutchfield.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Yeah I think you have to use the 3.5mm jack to be able to control Songs through Ipod.
Not true. You can use the dock connector and control it by hand. Use the adapter I linked. I use it, one for my Alpine, one for my Pioneer. They both only let you control it by hand. They both give you dock connector quality instead of 3.5mm phono quality
I grounded the ipod where the deck is grounded and it got rid of elec. noise.
This usually works. Pioneers are a little more sensitive to ground noise than Alpines though. I didn't hook up my Alpine adapter to power just because it won't charge my iPod anyway.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts