Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one have an issue mounting the Altenator running comp cam rollers on aluminum heads. I had to go with a higher valve cover to clear the comp cam rollers. Now the valve covers are not allowing me to mount the altenator because it hits the back of the altenator. I had to grind down the groves on the back of my last altenator two years ago. My ground terminal came loose the other day and I think I my altenator took a dump. I dont want to have to grind down the back of every altenator I put on the car. Any one have any ideas or have the same issue.

Thanks for any suggestions. if you have the issue and figured out a way to mount the altenator with out grinding the back of it. send me some pics

Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. you can trim stock valve covers to clear your RR

http://golenengineservice.com/html/lt1_facts.html

2. some report that by pulling the alternator apart and rotateing it then bolting back togeather it clears other valve covers
Thanks for the info, yeah I read the Golen information unfortunately my original valve covers got damaged so I went with some aftermarkets. They also look nicer but I guess you have to give a little to get a little . As for the pulling the altenator apart and rotateing I am not sure if I want to take the chance.

I appreciate the feed back.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Post a pic of your issue showing the type of valve cover your having problem with. Chances are, someone on here has found a solution to your problem already.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have heard you can grind down the nub on the back of the alternator so that the alternator will clear the valve covers. Either that or "massage" the new valve covers so the alternator fits. - Peter

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
How about notching the valve covers?

Was it the Canton racing covers someone just posted pictures of?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts