Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I decided to ditch the serpentine belt I had put on the car when I switched to a 200amp alternator that has smaller pulley BEFORE I fix up my alternator.
I'm fairly certain the belt caused the alternator bearings to fail prematurely (right now unless the A/C is on alternator is making ALOT of noise!) as the belt on there since 200amp alternator addition was over an 1" smaller then stock belt when the pulley was only 0.2" smaller in diameter then stock alternator pulley...anyways went and got a belt thats only a quarter inch smaller then stock belt length and now my question is...
Can someone PLEASE recommend somewhere to get new QUALITY bearings for my alternator??? as I see many little kits out there and obviously I assume ebay is DEF a bad choice but I'd like to get a nice quality set if possible
And if I studied up on CS144 alternators correctly it looks like I need a front bearing and then a rear needle bearing as well as a race?

Thanks for any help!!!

·
Registered
3,245 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
the link below will help as well. I read up for a long time on alternators before I decided to actually build my own. I couldnt see paying $500.00 plus dollars for something I could do myself.

I called Spring Hill and the owner took alot oftime with me on the phone. He was a huge help! I ordered everything and it was really a snap. Since than I have rebuilt a dozen or so for my buddies as well.

http://www.springhillautoelectric.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=502

Also, the bearings alot of time stick to the shaft when you pull the casing off.It's important that when you use the bearing puller you take your time and try not to break the old bearing. It can be a real pain if you dont have the right tools. But sometimes they come off real easy.

Be glad to help with pointers if need be. But is not too bad

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hmm yea nevermind took it apart and I forget where i got it from but its actually the early style case...and has rotor with the double seal rear bearing and not needle bearing like the late model CS144s and the front bearing jammed up some caisong the rear of the rotor where the rear bearing sits to round out and eat into the aluminum in the rear housing so this ones toast...however with this new to me impala, previous owner actually had very recently replaced the OEM 140amp alternator with a new one so I will probably just throw that on for now and get a late model CS144 240amp kit from the above mentioned website as after doing a fair amount of research/reading and taking apart the problem noisy 200amp alternator of mine its not all that complicated of a job...ESPECIALLY for the price for that kit versus buying a HO one of similar amp rating!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so since I have to rebuild my existing alternator anyone wanna recommend what pulley to go with from spring hill auto electric?
I think my previous had a 52mm pulley and i think 56mm is what stock alternator uses...I also see a 49mm pullley on their site but unlike the 56mm and 52mm (although 52mm comes both ways) it doesnt mention "Designed w/ hub - no pulley spacer required" in its features...anyone use a 49mm one and did you have to use spacers or did it fit right onto the alt fan with no modifications?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Ok so since I have to rebuild my existing alternator anyone wanna recommend what pulley to go with from spring hill auto electric?
I think my previous had a 52mm pulley and i think 56mm is what stock alternator uses...I also see a 49mm pullley on their site but unlike the 56mm and 52mm (although 52mm comes both ways) it doesnt mention "Designed w/ hub - no pulley spacer required" in its features...anyone use a 49mm one and did you have to use spacers or did it fit right onto the alt fan with no modifications?
I am running the 49mm one.bolt on no mods required.

I would reccomend calling and asking him. He can make sure the pulley you need for your application.Terrific people and your right the prices are outstanding

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haven't worked with the later alternators, but for the past 40 years I've been repairing my old GM alternators myself. I just go to a local auto parts store and pick up the rebuild kit. It includes the bearings, new brushes, new diode trio, and new regulator. I get the entire kit for about $20. It will fix about any alternator problem except toasted rotor or stator windings.
I use the kits made by a company called Victory Lap. The old GM alternators used the GMA-01 kit and this is the one I'm familiar with. The later ones appear to use the GMA-03 kit which is available from Ebay, but your local auto parts stores can likely save you money on this part. You might check them out.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thx for the advice but the alternator is good its just stock amp amount isn't enough for me...so I'm gonna go with that company and go with 240amp stator...
Any idea with that stator what idle amps I would approx get with stock 56mm pulley versus if I went with the smaller 52mm one versus the 49mm one cause I assume the bigger the pulley I can deal with the more longevity the alternator will end up with!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey 92SS Wagon with that smallest alternator pulley your using did you have to go with a smaller belt and if so what smaller belt length did you go with?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts