Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do most people do with the bracket that runs from lower back side of the alternator/bracket to the OEM exhaust manifold?

I have clear image headers.

Dennis

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have Tri-Y headers and installed both brackets. As the header doesn't use the last bolt hole (the one closest to the alternator - far right when face the header looking down). Reused one the the OEM bolts with spacer in the head then put on the bracket and nut. Works great, no problem.

Pat
95 BBB

Comment - Some folks run without the brackets and have no problems. I decided to use the brackets after seeing an alternator break off an Impala during a road race. The guy was not using the support brackets.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I have Tri-Y headers and installed both brackets. As the header doesn't use the last bolt hole (the one closest to the alternator - far right when face the header looking down). Reused one the the OEM bolts with spacer in the head then put on the bracket and nut. Works great, no problem.

Pat
95 BBB
This is good advice, but I never put that bracket back on when I did my headers over 3 years ago. I have had absolutly no problems of any kind

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
This is good advice, but I never put that bracket back on when I did my headers over 3 years ago. I have had absolutly no problems of any kind

before the crash, people had reported cracking the alt mounting bracket when the brace wasnt used.

·
Registered
8,637 Posts
None of my cars have the brackets, even if they still have the stock manifolds. No issues on them so far. The Caprice, the headers have been on for about 6 years.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
GM felt it needed 3 additional brackets braces for the alternator. Assume to prevent flex and possible cracking/breaking of the cast accessory bracket. Given GM, and any car manufacturer, won't spend $.02 more to make something "better" unless absolutely necessary my $02 is to use the brackets designed for the LT1. Some report main bracket flexing or breaking and belt slippage under hard WOT use if not running them.

About $3 worth of spacers and 1 longer bolt allowed me to use the OEM alternator braces.

YMMV

Attachments

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
With the Gen II Tri-Ys was able to reinstall the forward bracket but hard interference with the aft bracket. Tried modding it but no go. I don't see an issue.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
What do most people do with the bracket that runs from lower back side of the alternator/bracket to the OEM exhaust manifold?

I have clear image headers.

Dennis
I left mine off, no issues.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
GM felt it needed 3 additional brackets braces for the alternator. Assume to prevent flex and possible cracking/breaking of the cast accessory bracket. Given GM, and any car manufacturer, won't spend $.02 more to make something "better" unless absolutely necessary my $02 is to use the brackets designed for the LT1.
I worked there. Don't give them too much credit. These folks brought us the optispark, remember? Way more expensive than a regular distributor and not too much of an advantage. The guys on the Mercedes forum used to say that all the time when I had my old beater Benz. "Clearly if the omnicient engineers at Mercedes-Benz designed a restrictive intake tube that picks up hot air then the car will only go slower if replaced with one that flows better." That car had some of the most hare-brained engineering I've ever seen.

That said I think those alternator braces are a good idea. I should put them back on my car.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
GM felt it needed 3 additional brackets braces for the alternator. Assume to prevent flex and possible cracking/breaking of the cast accessory bracket. Given GM, and any car manufacturer, won't spend $.02 more to make something "better" unless absolutely necessary my $02 is to use the brackets designed for the LT1. Some report main bracket flexing or breaking and belt slippage under hard WOT use if not running them.

About $3 worth of spacers and 1 longer bolt allowed me to use the OEM alternator braces.

YMMV
BALLSS, I agree and I was concerned that the alternator bracket may crack and/or break. The bracket from the 2nd picture is the one I was referring to, runs from the lower alternator mounting bolt to the head. Mine was already powder coated, guess I'll have to make some plates cut it up and make it fit.

BTW did you notice in that same picture that you AC accumulator bracket is going punch a hole in the heater hose closest to it?

Dennis

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
BALLSS, I agree and I was concerned that the alternator bracket may crack and/or break. The bracket from the 2nd picture is the one I was referring to, runs from the lower alternator mounting bolt to the head. Mine was already powder coated, guess I'll have to make some plates cut it up and make it fit.

BTW did you notice in that same picture that you AC accumulator bracket is going punch a hole in the heater hose closest to it?

Dennis
The "long" brace from alt to head came with the headers so my assumption a OEM one won't fit or would need some "adjustment" to do so.

The AC accum bracket is about 6" above the heater hose. The pic result is just a "angle" thing making it appear it hits the hose

I do know many have removed the rear brackets with no ill effect

456....Agree GM engineers are not the all knowing. In their effort to save weight and make a accessory bracket cast from soft metal vs steel...then finding flex can happen when hard WOT...then adding steel braces in 3 places to counter that....to finally wind up with more weight...ah the path of engineering

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
I had belt slippage at WOT with a gatorback belt, and new tensioner (new ALT pulley too). I reinstalled the rear brace that goes to the front header bolt with some spacers, and WOT belt slippage gone. Proof enough for me for it to be there.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
I have mine on. I ground the end that connects to the head flat so it would fit properly.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I ran my 95 Impala without both of the steel brackets just to see what would happen. In 35,000 miles of very hard driving, I never had a problem, crack, flex, or otherwise. But, if you can get both on, it is not going to hurt anything.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
I had belt slippage at WOT with a gatorback belt, and new tensioner (new ALT pulley too). I reinstalled the rear brace that goes to the front header bolt with some spacers, and WOT belt slippage gone. Proof enough for me for it to be there.
Yah the forward bracket of the two seemed to hold the greatest moment of stability so I made sure to at least get that one back on.

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
I left the brackets off when my headers went on in early 2003 - no issues for me with almost 7 years of "spirited" driving...

·
Registered
868 Posts
After replacing a ton of alternators on every kind of car, i have to say GM overkills the mounting on their alternators. If GM has 4 mounting points any other manufacturer has 2. Hell Ford even mounted theirs to the plastic intake coolant cross-over passage on the early 4.6's and they held up till about 50K miles or so before cracking the intake and dumping all the coolant out onto the road.

I say if you can make it work fairly simply then use it, but if it wont work i wouldnt worry about it too much

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
before the crash, people had reported cracking the alt mounting bracket when the brace wasnt used.
Just pulled my motor the other day, Mine was cracked:mad: DOH!

·
Registered
438 Posts
I reinstalled the bracket with the spacer that was used with the original bolts. IIRC I ground down the end near the header to allow for clearence.

It took a few min to set up, not a big deal.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts