Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My alternator has a low hum coming from the cable from the battery.Just to let you know my battery seems to die out about every 2 weeks.I have had the battery,brand new, since I bought the car in Feb(Red Top).I have had the battery and alternator tested no problems.That hum is constantly on with key out and since I changed out to Gary's cables it seems my battery drains out faster. Can it be a voltage regulator? Any help is appreciated. Thanx

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
My alternator has a low hum coming from the cable from the battery.Just to let you know my battery seems to die out about every 2 weeks.I have had the battery,brand new, since I bought the car in Feb(Red Top).I have had the battery and alternator tested no problems.That hum is constantly on with key out and since I changed out to Gary's cables it seems my battery drains out faster. Can it be a voltage regulator? Any help is appreciated. Thanx
the VR is built into the alts on our car, so if it is the VR you will be replacing the alt.

do you have a drain on the system?

easy way to check is at night pull the positive bat off and just put it back on if it sparks you have a drain.

thanks
wolf

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll check that tonite.I'm pretty sure there is a drain.Why else would it make a electrical hum? Also alot of other things run when the key is out and shouldn't. For example my power windows work and the HVAC unit will work with the key out.If my alarm was set off it wont clear itself off when I turn the ignition(light still blinks while car is still on and get an extra beep everytime I turn off) Could it be the ignition?

·
Registered
923 Posts
check wires going to ignitioncylinder
maybe the previous owner spliced a constant power cable to ignition switch.

somewhat the same when installing aaftermarket radio and it is able to be wired so that you can turn on radio without key.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts