Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I searched and came up empty; has anyone tried retrofitting one of the new style overrun / decoupler pulleys to a CS130 or CS144? Given that the alternator rotor is the single largest rotating mass in the accessory drive BY FAR, this is a huge benefit to belt and accessory drive life. I have two newer vehicles with them and I've not had any problems with the LITENS oem-style version, although it is a maintenance item (60k-100k miles lifespan seems to be normal).

To retrofit it requires a (EDITED) threaded rotor shaft, so perhaps the original shaft must be replaced (and thus for it to be a drop-in, the shaft length, diameter and rotor must be identical). I have a local alternator rebuilder I'm going to ask about doing this, but just wanted to see if anyone else had tried it.

·
Premium Member
5,335 Posts
Interesting the lh thread.
The natural tightening motion would want rh thread on our cars, near as I could see.
My Caprice has one , as the front drive is C6 Y body but I don't have a CS 144 anymore.

The one I have pictured is our GT4 Mustang
It is RH thread.
The Coyoodo race engine started with one, Roush removed, then went back to it.
Wife's G8 has, my GXP does not.
My take on that is the DOD car needed, the no DOD did not.
Will check her thread , lh or rh

My reading on C6 use suggests they were more after belt tossing under rapid engine decel than harmonic issues.

Wifes pulley failed at under 50K,
Not a GM supplied part, not listed in aftermarket. Looks though, to be the exact same as a V6 prowler of all things.

I THINK, they are cool deal, but they don't last for ever, as you pointed out.
I spent a bunch of time researching them when the G8 acted up.
Will see if can dig it up.
I wonder about possibly modding a pulley inner hub to work on an un modded alternator?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My mistake, it is standard RH thread. When using the remover tool, it can be tricky to keep straight.

Hmm. One could easily thread the shaft of an existing alternator. I think the tough part about modifying an existing alternator is the allen wrench hole in the front. Although you could just unbolt the rear of the alternator, gently clamp the rotor, then remove and replace the pulley. Reinstalling the rear involves using a toothpick to hold the brushes in a retracted position, then just reinstalling the rear and then bolting it back together.

Gerry, do you know the part number on the pulley you posted a picture of? The ones on my 01-07 Chrysler minivans and on C5 corvettes are of smaller diameter than a stock B-body pulley.

·
Premium Member
5,335 Posts
The one i pictured here is 3.5 inches Have reached out to my source.
Considering who they are, the pulley will probably cost more than our cars😆
Will measure mine and the g8 .

Edit, mine on wagon is about 2.68
20201119_134145.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts