Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after 195k my stock alternator has finally went south in my 95 Caprice. I'm thinking about having it rebuilt to a higher output. I'm also thinking about having the alternator housing and the engine accessory bracket powder coated black while it's apart. Is that a bad or good idea? I've read that it might be bad to coat the housing because it won't dissipate heat like it should. Also at that time I'm going to do the big three and upgrade to a corvette starter.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link I was gonna pay to get it done but I think I'll save some
Money and do it myself. Another question though, does the alternator ground on the accessory bracket?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, I believe the alternator does ground on the bracket. I may be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure it does. The alternator case is obviously connected to the bracket, the bracket is connected to the block, and the block is grounded to the chassis. The bracket would technically ground the alternator because of this, but you could always ground the case yourself with some 1/0, and then do the other 2 parts of the big 3 while you're at it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Today I went and bought a re manufactured 140a alternator. After installing it I noticed my voltage was still way too low, lights flickering in the car, speedo jumping when I brake or using the turn signals. I took the car to oreilly's to get tested. The battery read 13.1v while off and and 14.3 while on but the alt was only putting out 78amps at idle. Isn't that too low for a 140a alternator. All of my grounds seems to be intact and I didn't have my audio system connected at all. What else could be the problem, can the drive belt be too loose?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Today I went and bought a re manufactured 140a alternator. After installing it I noticed my voltage was still way too low, lights flickering in the car, speedo jumping when I brake or using the turn signals. I took the car to oreilly's to get tested. The battery read 13.1v while off and and 14.3 while on but the alt was only putting out 78amps at idle. Isn't that too low for a 140a alternator. All of my grounds seems to be intact and I didn't have my audio system connected at all. What else could be the problem, can the drive belt be too loose?
it all depends on how they built it! Just cause it states 140a doesnt mean it will do that at idle. That may be at 3-4000 rpm(just a comparison)

If your getting that voltage I would say everything correct. Just verify what rpm the 140a comes on at. You may have to go with a different pulley to achieve a better amperage at lower rpms

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I think its time to do the big three because I might have a bad ground. The voltage in my car reads too low. I can't even play my radio loud or it will cut off.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fixed my own problem, turn out the battery to frame ground wasn't getting a good connection. I sanded that area down and now everything is back to normal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.