Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone out there buy an aluminum driveshaft for their Fleetwood? I'm planning to buy one from Denny's, and I thought I'd check to see if anyone else had one, and what their experience was. I've had my driveshaft balanced twice now (after changing gears to 4.10's), and the imbalance has simply moved, but not been eliminated. I know a lot of guys with Impala's and Caprice's have had success with this, and I assume the same for the Fleetwoods, but I thought I'd check if anyone else had done this.

Alternately, anyone else running 4.10 gears that has managed to eliminate the driveline vibration entirely? If so, what did you do to get rid of it?

Thanks

·
Registered
145 Posts
You still at this Fleetwood thing, Cason? I miss RWD, luxury, and torque so much that I've decided to get some 3.73s for the 9" in my Lincoln. Somehow I expect enormous gains going from 2.55 gears to 3.73s :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jared! Nice to hear from you! Yes, still enjoying the Fleetwood... hard to beat the torque of an American V8, along with a set of steep gears! To that, add the handling of a set of big sway bars, wide tires and Bilsteins, and you've got a combo that can't be easily duplicated (at least not for as little as you can do it in a Cadillac!) Today, I had a spin in a customer's car.... Infiniti G37S..... 300+HP, 6 speed manual transmission, brakes as big as pie plates..... etc - very impressive. But, bearing in mind that it probably cost 10 times what you can by a Fleetwood for, I take some small consolation in my car!

Take care! Hope your 3.73 gears work well in the big car! - Cason

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ordered it

Hi all,

I just ordered the aluminum 3.5" driveshaft from Denny's...... it'll be here in a couple of weeks. Now that I've taken the plunge and spent the $500, I'm eager to see it arrive! The car has never run better than it has recently (just last weekend, I removed my hollowed out cats and replaced them with straight pipes and fixed a minor exhaust leak I'd had since I installed my Summit mufflers - sounds superb!)..... I'm looking forward to taking it up to higher speeds again. I'll take pictures when I install it in the car!

Regards to all

·
Registered
290 Posts
Just do the measurements that Denny recommends on his website, it is the best way to do it.
eh, why roll around in the driveway if i don't need to? unless you're implying that every fleetwood DS is different?

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
You still at this Fleetwood thing, Cason? I miss RWD, luxury, and torque so much that I've decided to get some 3.73s for the 9" in my Lincoln. Somehow I expect enormous gains going from 2.55 gears to 3.73s :)
I did that with a '95 or so on the lot that had a bad rear maybe 10 years ago. I don't remember how I had the parts but I had what was needed at the time so I had my mech make the swap. Damn thing was still a dog and the fuel mileage went away, too. Never even tried to play with a Town Car again after that.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
eh, why roll around in the driveway if i don't need to? unless you're implying that every fleetwood DS is different?
Yeah you are right, they are probably the same, but Denny, and that is if he doesn't have the measurements on hand he is going to require you to fill the sheet out or at least have the numbers which you could probably get :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah you are right, they are probably the same, but Denny, and that is if he doesn't have the measurements on hand he is going to require you to fill the sheet out or at least have the numbers which you could probably get :)
Yes, they didn't have the information on file for a Fleetwood, so I measured, using the sheet from the website..... if my car was an Impala SS, they'd have had the standard dimension on file for that.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Yes, they didn't have the information on file for a Fleetwood, so I measured, using the sheet from the website..... if my car was an Impala SS, they'd have had the standard dimension on file for that.
Yeah Denny keeps those on the shelf, well he makes a run of Imp driveshafts of 5 a piece every month or so. He made me measure mine as I have a T56 in my car, when I did the conversion he didn't have it on file either, he told me he could make one with standard measurements, but didn't want the liability that it would be wrong, which makes sense, the measurements are easy to make. Every car can be a little different, not much mind you, but it is possible.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's arrived

Well, it arrived the other day, and it looks great! I'll be installing it tomorrow, and I hope it has the desired effect - to eliminate vibrations above 62 MPH with the 4.10 gears! I'll report later whether it has worked or not! Whatever happens, it certainly looks nice:

·
Registered
290 Posts
mmmm thanks for the pics man.
i just realized the other day that dennys is like 20 minutes from me, lol. can't wait for mine.

hey did i miss pics of your fw somewhere? i've got hotchkis ready to go on & am having second thoughts.. would love some other shots

Edit: found em, lookin nice.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some pics of the aluminum driveshaft in the car

Hello Fleetwood enthusiasts:

I guess there's no rocket science involved in installing a new driveshaft, but I took some pics anyways...... those iPhones sure are handy!

Here's the old one in place (plus, I don't know if it's just me, but I always like suspension pictures that show brightly colored powder coated aftermarket suspension parts!):

Here's the same thing, looking forward:

Here's the old and the new side by side (there are plenty of weights on the old one... I had it in twice recently for rebalancing, to no avail:

Here's the aluminum driveshaft in place (without the 11mm bolts that hold the straps in place... they were put in right after this pic was taken):

Looking forward:

I washed it later in the day, after taking it for a high speed spin on the way home from our shop. Took it to 100 MPH and no vibration at all! I'm pleased with the final result!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I want my Caddy back... Wahhhhhhhhhh... :(
Well Jared, you're in luck! For just a minimal price, a price so small its hardly worth mentioning, this fine example of a Cadillac automobile could be parked in your driveway! Just kidding... I know you're driving something better suited to commuting as a student! Did you get the 3.73's in your Lincoln?

·
Registered
145 Posts
As much as I hate to admit it.. I ended up having to sell my Lincoln as well just for money. With no income for the last eight months things have been really tight.

I'm happy to see you're getting to do all the things I never did.. I still think you've got to loose that automatic though! :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As much as I hate to admit it.. I ended up having to sell my Lincoln as well just for money. With no income for the last eight months things have been really tight.

I'm happy to see you're getting to do all the things I never did.. I still think you've got to loose that automatic though! :D
Is that a hint that you might have a T56 and BBHP kit for sale? I think I saw one on the BC Craigslist a while ago, and I figured it must have been you. I'd love to put a T56 in this car, but I must say I've already got my eyes on other vehicles.... (as I have for a while).... I love this car, but there are so many other great vehicles out there I'd love to own that I don't see making any more big changes to this one. One possible project yet, but it'd take a lot of work is a new black paintjob. The paint has always been OK, but not great (ie: no body damage or rust on this car, but minor scratches, nicks, etc after 16 years on the road), and the black doesn't hide anything! Our business has a beautiful paintbooth for painting trucks, but our private paintjobs on our own vehicles have never seemed to turn out as well as we'd like, so I'm not too keen on doing it - plus, it looks great from 15 feet!

Take care, Jared

·
Registered
282 Posts
Sorry to bring this back but.....

This thread has the only information I've been able to find about the FWB driveshafts and I was wondering if since our driveshafts are longer than the ones in the B bodys would the CV driveshafts work in our cars as talked about in this thread?

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=271635

If so that would be an cheap performance upgrade for our cars since we wouldn't have to use the extended control arms since the wheelbase is already longer.

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
And the answer is...nope. Too short.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts