Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 Caprice wagon. The engine is the iron head. If I want to strap on aluminum angle plug heads....will I have any interferance problems? Will the plugs hit the exhaust manifolds or any other fit problems? Hope to get answer soon. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
the heads will fit.

if the heads aren't ported you will not see any gain.

What other mods have you done to the car?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANKS for the rapid reply!
No mods yet....just starting. I AM having the head/cam package done and many other mods. Just starting the build.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I'm asking is whether the plugs will hit the manifolds since they are at an angle in these heads (the iron heads are straight plugs IIRC). Or hit anything else on a wagon configuration? AND...will it create a problem installing headers in the wagon with plug clearance or pipe line up?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
If you're swapping the heads, why would you put exhaust manifolds back on?

I'm running the Afterburner headers with LT4 angle plug heads with no issues.

·
Premium Member
20,298 Posts
If you're swapping the heads, why would you put exhaust manifolds back on.......
Yeah......

Heads/cam and "many other mods".......I'm really hoping that this is a problem of terminology and that you're really not gonna put stock manifolds on a built engine.

In my opinion, you really want headers on your modified B-body......and the Gen-1 or Gen-2 Tri-Y's from Clear Image Automotive would likely be best for your set-up.......

http://www.clearimageautomotive.com/Products/94 - 96 Impala SS.htm

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=231332

Best of luck!!!

KW

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well....give me some credit. I'm getting older but not dumber...LOL:D I did ask about headers and there are 2 cars involved that I didn't want to get into here. Just wanted the info. NO...my wagon will not have stock manifolds. :)
Yeah....I've heard Tri-Y's were the operative choice. Does that include wagons?
And THANKS for the info, guys.

·
Premium Member
20,298 Posts
Well....give me some credit..............I've heard Tri-Y's were the operative choice. Does that include wagons......
1. Credit given ;) .

2. Yes.......Tri-Y's, even for wagons :) .

KW

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Gen 1 tri-y's from CIA will cause a clearance issue with aluminum LT1 heads because of the angled plug, you'll need Gen 2.

assuming you're talking about stock LT1 aluminum heads (camaro,TA etc)

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Gen 1 tri-y's from CIA will cause a clearance issue with aluminum LT1 heads because of the angled plug, you'll need Gen 2.

assuming you're talking about stock LT1 aluminum heads (camaro,TA etc)
Well, that's just not so.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks for that, V8. So....there ARE certain problems. Nice to know that info. Much appreciated.
EDIT:
oops....so....there AREN'T certain problems, Bob?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Well, that's just not so.
I was told this by Dan, the owner of CIA who makes the headers, i have no first hand experience.

when i bought my headers from him for my wagon a month or so ago he asked me if i was ever gonna go with Aluminum heads and i said no.

He said: Good, because the angled plugs on aluminum heads creat a clearance issue with Gen 1 tri-y's

he asked because i was contemplating gen 1's or Gen 2's and other than looks i asked for differences.

what's your experience with this? now i'm interested because if the guy who makes the headers is wrong and there is no issue with clearance that opens up my options for going with aluminum ported heads in the next year or so.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
I was told this by Dan, the owner of CIA who makes the headers, i have no first hand experience.

when i bought my headers from him for my wagon a month or so ago he asked me if i was ever gonna go with Aluminum heads and i said no.

He said: Good, because the angled plugs on aluminum heads creat a clearance issue with Gen 1 tri-y's

he asked because i was contemplating gen 1's or Gen 2's and other than looks i asked for differences.

what's your experience with this? now i'm interested because if the guy who makes the headers is wrong and there is no issue with clearance that opens up my options for going with aluminum ported heads in the next year or so.
Dan has to deal with some customers who have ten thumbs and half a clue. A clearance issue is for them is just a tight spot for two-thumbed types. I've got Gen I Tri-Ys on 95 Camaro heads. A couple of the spark plugs are a bit tricky to change, but not a huge deal. If the Gen IIs have better clearance, I say go for it. I'm just sayin' the Gen I version is doable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts