Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone with a wagon installed aluminum head angle plug heads on their iron head engine with no fit problems? If so, did you use headers and what kind fit? Are there a lot of problems?
EDIT:
Moderator...please don't move this thread. It is specific to wagons only. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
I have aluminum heads.

I do not have headers,but I will soon and don't see any issues.

I just noticed,angle head,maybe an issue.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Yours aren't angled plug? What number are your heads?
Sorry silverfox,I don't do my own work.

A local guy went to super chevy,bought them for his drag car,and when he got home found they were reverse coolant.

My name was mentioned as I had a leak on mine from the gov't drilling out a manifold bolt. They made the hole like an egg and I couldn't fix it. I bought them and had them rebuilt.

These were no real performance gain either.

Maybe they are angle? ,someone here will know. Lorne.

·
Registered
189 Posts
angle plug heads

not on a wagon but i had a street rod with a ZZ-4 crate motor from 1997 with the aluminum angle plug heads and the only headers i could get to work without problems were made by Sanderson model # QP OR KP 1000 they were jet hot coated from the factory they cost $550.00 and they looked like chevy ramhorn exhaust manifolds but more square tubes.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have heard that the manifolds may be different on the wagon
and that the headers that need to be used are different for lining up the pipes. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
I have Aluminum heads with angle plugs and FocuzTech Tri-Y Headers on my 1994 Impala.

Prior to installing this set up, I had the Edelbrock headers on the aluminum heads in the Impala. And they also worked well.

I also have a 1994 Roady wagon. I have Iron Heads and Edelbrock headers on it. Both fit up VERY well with no issues. The sedan and wagon headers seem to identical, but I am not home to compare them.......

I hope this helps!!

Tim

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL....hittin' all around me but you are the closest so far, I guess, BigBlackBeaSSt. I'm just wondering if the angle plug heads with a header OR with the stock manifolds are a problem swapping onto the wagon iron head.

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
Having replaced all of the manifold bolts and completely disassembled / replaced all of the exhaust on both my 9C1 and my wagon, the heads, manifolds, cats, and intermediate pipes are completely identical.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guess that's bingo, Sherlock. The iron heads, however, aren't the same as some of the aluminum heads and COULD change some configurations I would think......
The iron heads, IIRC, are not angled plug. Some aluminum are.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to everyone that has answered so far. What I'm really looking for is someone with a late model wagon that changed the iron heads to the aluminum angle plug heads. Did you have any problems at ALL? Plugs hit the manifolds? Did you then install headers and did that create a problem?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, Sherlock, I did. I was told that "they fit" but I got no answers from wagon owners that have tried it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Factory angle plug (Camaro/Corvette) heads have no clearance issues with the exhaust manifolds. When installing Tri-Y's, clearances are improved with the angle plugs everywhere except No. 1, where the angle makes it a bit tighter against the downtube, but nothing that a 90 degree boot can't fix.

Mods: This thread should be moved as it is _not_ wagon specific, no matter what the OP thinks.

- J

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LOLOL....well...the reason I posted in the wagon section is because I thought the wagons MIGHT be a bit different and the sedan guys would have no way of knowing that. In fact, I did get answers from sedan guys but still couldn't be certain that they knew if wagons were the same or not and some admitted that they didn't know. I now have had answers from wagon guys and am now satisfied with those answers. However, if it bothers, JaySS to the point that it has, somehow, become a bur under his saddle, stuck in his craw and all that....then...hey, by all means, move it wherever you want. My contention is that it should STILL stay here for the next wagon guy that has the same question. But, since I have my answers from those members that were kind enough to help me....you can delete it if you would like that better, JaySS. :D

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
All, my intent is to have one technical sticky with a list of all that is unique about wagons, so wagon owners can clearly know when sedan information is sufficient. This thread does need to be moved to the engine performance section, but the real key is making sure any lessons learned get captured, which I will do.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, Brokecello! And.....
Thanks, Sherlock. Much appreciated. About the only thing I learned was that the sedan and wagons, apparently, do not differ in regard to angle plug heads, manifolds and headers. Which is the info I was after. Be nice to somehow make that info available to other wagon owners. My apologies if I posted in the wrong place but I feel that I could not have reached the wagoneers elsewhere. Thanks again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts