Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kenwood x1200m amp. it worked great for 3 days. then i replaced the positive, neg, and remote wires. I replaced because i wanted to go thicker. i went from 10 gauge to 4 gauge. Once i hooked it back up it worked perfectly for 4 hours.

then it shut off and went into protection mode. i've redid the sub wires, the wiring and checked the fuses. everthing looks good to me. what am i missing. or do i need a new amp?

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
I have a Kenwood x1200m amp. it worked great for 3 days. then i replaced the positive, neg, and remote wires. I replaced because i wanted to go thicker. i went from 10 gauge to 4 gauge. Once i hooked it back up it worked perfectly for 4 hours.

then it shut off and went into protection mode. i've redid the sub wires, the wiring and checked the fuses. everthing looks good to me. what am i missing. or do i need a new amp?
maybe its overheating, how do you have it mounted?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
maybe its overheating, how do you have it mounted?
Yep - What Wolf said... Has it been excessively hot in Philly lately? Did it kick off after hours of use and the car sitting in the sun?

My amps will do the same thing if they are hot and the trunk is baking in the sun...

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Do any power indicators come on? I had an inline fuse pop but you couldn't tell visually, had to use a muiltimeter.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Do any power indicators come on? I had an inline fuse pop but you couldn't tell visually, had to use a muiltimeter.

Ive had that happen with 3 fuses in a row, they all didnt work. Looked fine.

Protection mode can be 2 things I know of.

Too low of an impedence for the amp.
Heat

When it goes into protec have you put your hand on the amp?

If you can't stand to hold your hand over the amp its too hot.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Ive had that happen with 3 fuses in a row, they all didnt work. Looked fine.

Protection mode can be 2 things I know of.

Too low of an impedence for the amp.
Heat

When it goes into protec have you put your hand on the amp?

If you can't stand to hold your hand over the amp its too hot.
that was my first thought... shorted vc's. put a meter on your subs and see how many ohms they're reading, or try another amp on your subs and see what happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts