Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put in my system with a buddy a couple weeks back. I've got a Punch amp and 2 12's. After driving in the heat for about 10-15 minutes, the subs will shut down. After a couple minutes they'll then come back. I assume the amp is overheating, is the only fix a fan? If so, how do I mount a fan? The amp is mounted on the back of the rear seat, btw. Any help is appreciated, as it's driving me nuts.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Make sure you have a good ground and you are not over loading the amp.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry, I'm just learning car audio. How do I differentiate between a good ground and a bad ground?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get a good volt ohm meter and meausure the voltage from the ground terminal on the amp, and a good, bare piece of metal on thechassis of the car. Push hard, while driving the amp at a good clip. A poor ground shows up as more than about .3 volts. Lower the number, the better off you are.
Make sure the impedance of the subs is adding up to a number higher or equal to the amps rated minimum impedance.
Make sure the power and ground cables are as short as possible. The ground should be bolted down tight to good bare metal, with a serrated washer to "cut into" the metal.

Peter

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bbody guy said it best

I also would reccommend putting a fuse inline close to the amp,to protect it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts