Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A FLEETWOOD only exhaust X-Pipe question y'all...

No use putting this in the "Exhaust" section as this is for the Fleetwood ONLY...Has any Fleetwood owner used the Pypes:

XGI10 - 94 96 IMPALA 2.5" X PIPE KIT

on the Fleetwood and if so,
  • Did it work?
  • What were the problems, issues, etc. with fitment?
The existing Borla system on the '96 is not aligned properly, rubbing (banging & clanging) on the right rear passenger floor well and on the left rear coil spring. I do not think this system was installed correctly. It was on the car when I bought it.

From the export pipes to the mufflers, it is rather cobbled together with a H-pipe welded in. The two sides are nowhere equally level, pipe to ground, or parallel.

I will appreciate any positive information.

Richard Snipes
4501 Safari in Jax, FL

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I'm thinking that you'd have to extend the portion of the X pipe just behind the X to get it to not rub where the B body pipes angle upward under the rear seat.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HuSSker,

Thank you for the comment. I don't know as it seems the exentsion past the "X" would hook directly to the mufflers but that may be where an extension would be needed. The instructions on the Pypes installation .pdf mention having to "trim" the length to fit so I'm thinking they allow a bit extra for that. Will give them a call in the morning to see what they have to say.

I had a feeling someone must have done this with a Fleetwood as it is so clean an installation. Would have to be better than my current situation.

Richard Snipes
4501 Safari in Jax, FL

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
The length is only part of the issue. The likely place your Borla is rubbing is probably right before the back seat, where the B body pipes bend upward to go up into the back seat area. On a Fleetwood, this is further back, so the B body pipes will hit there. The Pypes kit (I've installed 4 of them) have the same bends, which means it will likely hit on the floor of your Fleetwood in the same place. The "extra" length of the Pypes is all behind those bends.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
From what I've read an H- is like 1/15 hp less than an X-. If you just gotta have an X- that's ok. I did the Summit H-kit with a professional installer and it looks dam slik, and I bet it could be used to straighten up/repair your installation. The kit also perfectly makes up the 6" length increase from B- to a D-.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks...

Thanks, guys, I think the next step is to have a good installer take a look and see what can be done. I appreciate the information and the picture especially. I used the H-pipe setup with Walker 17288 mufflers , ala Jim Hand's specs, on the '64 Bonneville 2847 when I did the exhaust on it back in the day. Now Jim is using the X-pipe on the 455 Pontiac LeMans drag wagon.

Richard Snipes
4501 Safari in Jax, FL

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update

I spoke with the Pypes technical support folks about the XGI10 application for the Fleetwood. They confirmed it will work not only in the Impala ss but the Roadmaster and the Fleetwood. Also mentioned what HuSSker said about the slight uptick in the right side that would have to be compensated for due to the slight length increase in the Fleedwood chassis.

Seems to be as close to a viable and affordable plug and play option as there is.

The Flowmaster 15920 - Flowmaster Universal Balance Pipe Kit is $72.90 shipped. from Summit

It does require a certain degree of fabrication time and labor expense.

The XGI10 can be had for $176.98, shipped, at Jegs.

As to the H-pipe being worth the difference in savings + installation expense, I am not certain.

If anyone knows a better price on the XGM10, please do chime in.

Thanks,

Richard Snipes
4501 Safari in Jax, FL

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
?????? The H- kit I bought from Summit or JC Whitney was only $15-20 with a comination of some slip-fit pieces. If you're using a shop they can do those other longer blank pieces.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had that pipe in my Fleetwood. It's been a while but I think the shop had to to lengthen the pipe to get it to reach the muffler. I had the pypes x-pipe and dynomax 2-1/2 inch tail pipes and resonators. Installed cost jumped from $100 to $180 becuase of the modifications. I think the shop said they had to bend a short piece of pipe becuase it didn't align. Anyway I would install this setup again if I ever got another Fleetwood. If I recall I gained about 35HP. That was with the Golen 383.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Appreciate that last bit of information. I expect the x-pipe to arrive any day then it is fitment issue(s) time to get all to fit.

Borla said their system (installed on the car) is for the ImpalaSs but can be used with the Fleetwood but should be used with the cats in place or will be too loud...no kidding! The suggested installing another smallet set of mufflers ahead of the stainless Borlas.

Personally, I am leaning toward replacing the Borla mufflers with Walker 17288 (or the 17289 as I cannot seem to find the 17288) muffler. They flow very well and are subtle. (I have them on my '64 Bonneville from back in the day. May that car see the street again before I die!)

Whatever I do will be documented and posted.

Richard Snipes
4501 Safari in Jax, FL

·
Registered
1,297 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Safari... after checking with Pypes and being told it would work, i purchased that Pypes X for my fleetwood and it was NOT friendly with the stock crossmember & the exhaust shop ended up D'ing the pipe for clearance as i didn't want to cut and weld because it was coated. not what i planned but i just wanted it installed at that point.

in other words, not happy about my purchase.
whether it would have worked with the aftermarket tubular xmember i have now, i havent had a chance to look.. i'll be going with all fresh 3" anyway.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've not done my installation as yet but do have a tubular cross member on the shelf I'd designated for the Roadmaster wagon. I will be giving it a hard look for use on the Fleetwood.

I think our biggest problem is attempting to adapt to the Fleetwood something make to fit another car, the Impala SS. I cannot help but wonder if any of this stuff fits the Impala either. Seems anything we do, other than strictly OEM, and even that sometimes, requires manipulation.

I will be wise to document this well and hopefully it will work. Supposedly the CIA hook up pipes and the stock cats end in the same position to join a stock exhaust system. The Pypes pieces are supposed to duplicate that junction. We will see...

Richard Snipes
4501 Safari in Jax, FL

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I eventually had my Pypes X cut up and fitted properly under my 96.... The exhaust just hung to darn low otherwise.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey Richard how are you and my old 94 Fleetwood doing??? Glad 2 see ur still on the forum!!! Hope all is going great :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
96 fleet w x

I had the sAme prob as chevmdns....and good exhaust shop shouldbe able to make it fit...it hangs low if not cut for an extra piece of pipe

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Chris...

Check your PM and have a great Thanksgiving!

Richard Snipes
4501 Safari in Jax, FL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts