Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been discussed, but has anyone seen a FW with a more traditional speedo/ gauge setup? Its probably the only thing that irks me about the car. I'm sure changing over wouldn't be particularly cheap or easy but if anyone has any pics just to get an idea what it would look like that would be great.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
I've had mine for over 10 years, and I've never heard it discussed. Not feeling a big pressure to change the stuff myself, but there's likely some inherently impossible aspect about the swap that sceers the most manliest men off. Our fuel senders are differnt too, as I believe the popular SS gauge fix don't work for ours.

Cadillacs spooky.

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
Cadillac's just another car. Especially these. Glorified Chevy with pretensions. Not that I don't love mine but it's no more a "Cadillac" than the...what was that thing...the German sourced six-popper that was such a POS? This is just a Cappy with nicer leather and a cooler front end(and I like the taillights better, too).

Anyway, seems to me the issue would be room. I'm going to stuff three gauges in the pillar and, if I go N2O two more in the cluster below the speedo. But they'll all be small, round and green digital to match the factory stuff. Only way I see to go analog would be to chuck the whole thing and start from scratch with aftermarket stuff and a hand made panel to put 'em in.

And yeah, that would probably mean both a different fuel sender and I'm not sure what in hell you'd do with the odo? Now that I think about it I'm glad I like the digital stuff and real glad there's additional gauges that (sorta) match the look available.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Our fuel senders are differnt too, as I believe the popular SS gauge fix don't work for ours.

Cadillacs spooky.
New sending units have cured the weird gauge issues in my Cadillacs. You know how they usually take 100 miles to drop that first bar, then plummet the rest of the way? New sending units made my gauges accurate.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't bother with it on my car (too much daily driver patina), I just think it'd be interesting to see. There's room in there for a tach, speedo, oil pressure, temp and fuel gauge, maybe even another but you'd have to be clever with the idiot lights too. It's too bad GM used this setup on so many cars, I can barely see it during the day.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And just for the record, to me it is much more a cadillac to me than the wrong wheel drive abominations that they built. At least they're finally going back to the right way.

·
Registered
392 Posts
It is old news... but I often forget it's there.

The climate control panel can show you temp, tachometer, and perhaps some other variables I'm forgetting.

You have to put the unit in diagnostic mode, and can drive around with it showing one variable at a time. The bummer is that you can't use the ac or heat.

----------
I've added a tach to mine, kind of temporary hanging there until I decide if I like it or not.
I've added coolant temp and tranny temp, as well, in the ash tray. All digital stuff, green, to match the dash lights.
No pics to show, sorry.

If I ever get around to it I'd just add some gauges to a center console, floor shifter setup. Pipe dreams, at the moment.

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
Oh I'll agree with that for the most part. But for me it's a lot more about what's under the hood. Well, as much anyway, as the rest of the car. So for me Cadillac pretty well ended with the demise of the 500/472/368. You could make the argument the 4.1 series is Caddy(sadly) and the Northstar(great engine) but somewhere they just lost the magic(for me).

Our FWB's are as close to a finale as it got. The small block is generic but at least it's easy to work on and they do drive from the right end and, yeah, most people would never know or care.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
New sending units have cured the weird gauge issues in my Cadillacs. You know how they usually take 100 miles to drop that first bar, then plummet the rest of the way? New sending units made my gauges accurate.
I heard that sending unit thing kinda costly. At half full just I put in 16 gallons and full bars again.

The shift indicator bar fix just takes a piece of free string or something and I ain't even gotten around to that yet after 5 years.

For me it's really just all about the 5,000# car. I almost get the same feeling in my son's Duramax crewcab 3500. Almost. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts