Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, for those of you who saw my post in the drivetrain section, I picked up 6 tenths with just my Edge 2800 and a sticky tire. I will be possibly going to the strip this weekend for one last hurrah. My best E.T. of the day yesterday was a [email protected] My previous best was a [email protected] My quandry is I am so close to 13's I can taste it. Now what you need to do is tell me how. I need you to walk me through every aspect of the drag race, beginning with prep (i.e. icing intake, unbolt sway bar), burnout, optimal launch RPM, and how to lay in the throttle (if I shouldn't just floor it). I don't believe traction is an issue off the line but I could be mistaken. Currently I do like a 2 sec burnout, launch a little above idle, and punch it. But please, I think all I need is adjustments on the car, or any little trick you guys know to help me shave .08 seconds off my E.T. Let's make me need a helmet. BTW to you Chicago guys, I believe Byron will be open Sunday and Saturday, I expect to see you there, especially B.A.D. Bodies. Lemme know!! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Take out your spare. That's all I can think of now... Oh, and good luck breaking into the 13's!!! :cool:

Edit: Update your sig!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would think taking out the spare, taking anything else out of the interior that's not normally in it, racing with less than 1/4 tank of fuel, all together would drop .08 at least. If that doesn't do it, take the belt off. If traction is not an issue, launch above idle and floor the BIOTCH!!!!!!!!! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's the issue's, spare is already out, but I have not pulled the belt yet. How many runs can I get with it off? I sure would like to have power steering! Do you think I should up my launch RPM? It seemed to run slower when I got higher in the RPM range, but that was without a long burnout. MAybe I spun them and didn't know it.

Edit: Thanks 4 DR Z28!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No. Don't up your launch RPM's. I went from running 14.6 to 14.7 to 15.0 by upping the RPM launches each run. Just give her hell at idle. Also, do you run on D or OD? Try turning the OD off and just running it with 3 gears. That seemed to help me a little.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll try launching as close to idle as possible, or at it if possible. It drove me nuts leaving the track with a 14.0 stock engine B-Body and not hitting the 13's. Oh, here's on for the books, just to see what she would do, I went down the strip with 4 people including me in the car, and still ran a 14.73!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any other suggestions guys? What are your feelings on unbolting the sway bar and/or icing the intake? I iced it the time before and picked up a tenth, but it could've been driving skill too, so do you think I should, I really want the 13's BADLY.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ed, you might be in 13's already! Keep in mind that each week the temp is dropping and it keeps getting colder. Cold air = free HP! ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I gotta agree with the comment about the weather.

Try pulling the serpentine belt and the passenger seat the next time you run bottom 14s

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by AdioSS:
I gotta agree with the comment about the weather.

Try pulling the serpentine belt and the passenger seat the next time you run bottom 14s
you know I pulled my serpentine belt, and just barely lugged my way up to the starting line (damn 255mm wide tires) and basically got nothing from it. I know it was way less than .08 of a second..

I would remove all necessary weight, drain the winshield washer resevoir, run a 1/4 tank or less of gas, get the pedal to the floor as fast as you can without burning the tires, and if you still need to loose some weight take some ex-lax.. :D :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For me, removing the belt is usually worth .2 in the 1/4. I can usually make 3-4 passes with no issues with it removed.

You could also be brave and try running with no filter for one pass.. There isn't much dust out right now, so you should be ok for one pass.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Try a K&N FIPK, or head off to Lowes or Home Depot and whip up yer own.

Have you gone in and cleaned the throttle body? Have you cleaned(spray and swab) the MAF? That stuff helps, we're looking for .01's here,hehehe.

Do you drive real hard on a regular basis or just save the mashing for the track? Try running wide open as often as possible the rest of this week. Maybe you'll blow out a couple of .01's worth of ****.

Just fishin'

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by Stu:
Try a K&N FIPK, or head off to Lowes or Home Depot and whip up yer own.

Have you gone in and cleaned the throttle body? Have you cleaned(spray and swab) the MAF? That stuff helps, we're looking for .01's here,hehehe.

Do you drive real hard on a regular basis or just save the mashing for the track? Try running wide open as often as possible the rest of this week. Maybe you'll blow out a couple of .01's worth of ****.

Just fishin'
Definately clean the MAF sensor. hell bring a bottle of rubbing alcohol and clean it when you get to the track. it's only 4 torx screws and a couple of minutes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by Spartus:
For me, removing the belt is usually worth .2 in the 1/4. I can usually make 3-4 passes with no issues with it removed.

You could also be brave and try running with no filter for one pass.. There isn't much dust out right now, so you should be ok for one pass.
Well

Maybe my goodyear battery isn't up to the challenge of not having the alternator running. I know I ran it as little as possible getting to the staging lines, but it sure was a bitch getting it down there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
get rid of 80 Lbs.. that will net you .08

lose a hundred lbs, and get .1

13s easy

its all about your weight at this point. unless u want to do some more mods!

a higher stall would also get u there.

borrow some front skinnys from someone.

get rid of pass seat, and rear seat cushons.

remove rear bumper.

take off hood...

take a big crap.

let someone who is 100lbs lighter than you drive it.

get some higher octane racing gas.

drive naked.

make sure carpt under accelerator isnt bunched up.. make sure it goes all the way to the floor.

door panels come off easily.

put some racing sticker on the car, for stuff you dont really have + 10Hp

but if you REALLY want to pick up a bunch of HP...

paint the car DCM :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
but if you REALLY want to pick up a bunch of HP...

paint the car DCM
How dare you!!! My Driftwood Metallic runs better than most DCM's with the same mods. :D My only other thing I can think of would be to unbolt the sway bar. Will this improve my E.T? I already cleaned the MAF, but will when I get there, and I hit WOT a lot on the street.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.