Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After eleven years of spilling water on my head when opening the hood after a car wash or rain, I drilled a drain hole in the water-retaining passenger side of the bracket. No more drips. Plus, I'm pretty sure it makes the car faster.

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive lighting Tire Automotive exterior

Reactions: 96Lt1civi and 91ss

·
Registered
673 Posts
Hey! That's an idea! And all the weight savings definitely makes it faster!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a pretty good assortment of bits and hole saws for my drill, so now I'm inspired to pursue the weight reduction. Some people do it in hidden panels, but we can improve on that since our cars have heavy steel frames, but no holes to lighten them like you see in aircraft. I want the car to remain streetable, so I will stick to 2.5-inch holes spaced 8 inches apart on all four sides of the fully boxed frame sections, including the engine cradle. For the C-channel frame under the doors, I will use 2.75-inch holes since there aren't as many places to drill. 3 inches seems a bit much and probably best for slalom courses. And, of course, there are holes in the Hotchkis engine bay brace, so it must be a good idea, right? Anyone? Bueller?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Ignore weight and add horsepower!
+1 for these cars at least.
But compared to new cars, the b bodys really aren't that heavy. A '96 impala is only around 300lbs more than a 2020 Impala, and is much bigger car. Not to mention that the '20 is mostly plastic, and has an all aluminum engine, suspension bits, ect.
And an Audi A8L, which is very close to the same size, is 400 lbs heavier.

My point is, I'm personally not really concerned with weight with my car, and comparably, it's not that heavy anyways.

Though It would be neat to see how light someone could go with a B body.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
+1 for these cars at least.
But compared to new cars, the b bodys really aren't that heavy. A '96 impala is only around 300lbs more than a 2020 Impala, and is much bigger car. Not to mention that the '20 is mostly plastic, and has an all aluminum engine, suspension bits, ect.
And an Audi A8L, which is very close to the same size, is 400 lbs heavier.

My point is, I'm personally not really concerned with weight with my car, and comparably, it's not that heavy anyways.

Though It would be neat to see how light someone could go with a B body.
Yep a CTS-V2 weighs 4222 and parked side by side the Impala is far bigger. We are used to saying the Impala is heavy because we were always competing with Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. The Impala was not terrible for a big boat.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha! Just kidding about the Swiss-cheesing. If anything, I want more steel, like partial boxing of the C-channels for rigidity per some of the threads on this forum. We'll never get the rigidity of a good modern unibody, but things like the Dick Miller braces, a trailer hitch, and the front brace by the swaybar do help.
The bamboo role cage, though...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.