Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been unable to determine the cause of this really annoying rattle. Every time my rear suspension goes over a bump (large or small) I hear a rattle.
It has occurred since I bought the car but seems to be getting worse.
I recently had custom dual exhaust installed so I don't think it's exhaust related. I just put new bilsteins all the way around thinking it was a shock.
I have had all 4 wheels off and the brake pads are still quite thick and seem to be clipped in place. btw, the noise happens under braking too.
I had the car on a lift when the shocks were done and I could not find any loose parts in the front end. I also looked at and pulled on anything under the whole car attempting to recreate the noise with no luck.
I took off the hubcaps and it didn't make a difference.
I am considering packing the heat shields in front of the gas tank with something (temporarily) to see if that is it.
Here's one more detail. When I took a friend for a ride to listen and help determine where it is coming from, the rattle was much harder to induce. It is definately a lot more quiet with weight in the passenger seat.
I have this feeling that, if I take it to a repair shop, they will fix something that doesn't need fixed and I'll still have the noise. I have been there before that's why I am hoping to figure this one out myself.
Any ideas?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 95 9C1:
I have been unable to determine the cause of this really annoying rattle. Every time my rear suspension goes over a bump (large or small) I hear a rattle.
It has occurred since I bought the car but seems to be getting worse.
I recently had custom dual exhaust installed so I don't think it's exhaust related. I just put new bilsteins all the way around thinking it was a shock.
I have had all 4 wheels off and the brake pads are still quite thick and seem to be clipped in place. btw, the noise happens under braking too.
I had the car on a lift when the shocks were done and I could not find any loose parts in the front end. I also looked at and pulled on anything under the whole car attempting to recreate the noise with no luck.
I took off the hubcaps and it didn't make a difference.
I am considering packing the heat shields in front of the gas tank with something (temporarily) to see if that is it.
Here's one more detail. When I took a friend for a ride to listen and help determine where it is coming from, the rattle was much harder to induce. It is definately a lot more quiet with weight in the passenger seat.
I have this feeling that, if I take it to a repair shop, they will fix something that doesn't need fixed and I'll still have the noise. I have been there before that's why I am hoping to figure this one out myself.
Any ideas?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The heat shields have a habit of making noise. I would try wedgeing them tight just to see if it's related. Good luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know this may sound simple, but… have some one get under the rear of the car and rock it side to side and up and down. Have them look and listen for the noise.

With that said, have you checked to see if your spare tire is tight? My spare was loose and rattled like crazy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Look to see if you have that exhaust dampener on the car. It mounts just after the passenger side cat. It has a cylinder shape with a flange attachment to exhaust pipe. It is suppose to weigh about 5 pounds. It is suppose to exhaust vibration and drone.

Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I second the heat shields around the gas tank. Easy to check... I grabbed a screw driver by the shaft and tapped it with the handle and you will hear the bad shield rattling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.