Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, getting ready to do some work on a good friends car and he is wanting to remove the Air Pump on his 96 B4U, I have read everything on this and I know what has to be done for it in the 96 model years, but he is concerned with the emission testing in Ohio as they don't do a sniff test anymore, they just plug in the diag port and hook it to a computer. I am curious and since he is getting it tuned anyway, if we could have the tuner remove the Air Pump and then I could install the TSB sticker on the core support and he would be ok, I am sure that he would like to remove components under the hood, but not sure if they do the underhood check and the TSB doesn't cover removing the components, just plugging them up and programming the puter.

Any Ohio guys gotten away with doing this and passing the emission Nazi's. Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
240 Posts
i guess it would depend on where he went. most of ohio doesn't even do the emissions testing. so i guess he's in greater cleveland, if not then no worries.

anyway when i had my '93 nissan (this past winter) that i had to get tested, since i moved up here from cincinnati. they didn't look for anything. i had no emissions anything on the car. it had a jdm motor in it, so there was no emissions provisions to begin with. no a.i.r., no charcoal canister, no egr, no nothin.

i didn't even have a cat, just a straight pipe, and no one even mentioned it (and they looked under the car with a mirror. they didn't open the hood either. just put it on the rollers and put in the sniffer. now it didn't pass (only failed nox), but i wanted to see how bad it would fail before i paid to get a cat put on.

with my '99 acura i took after i sold the nissan (a few months later) they did the same mirror under the car and just plugged into the obd2 port. no hood open, no sniffer, no rollers. i guess they just check for cel's on obd2 cars. so i would wager you guys shouldn't have any trouble. if it were me i wouldn't even bother with the tsb sticker. just have the a.i.r. taken of the ecu.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I have a '96 RMW and live in Lorain which has emissions testing (as you can tell in my signature). I removed the air pump and got the CEL. I went to an OBD-I conversion for other reasons, but it got rid of the CEL for the air pump.

If you go into an emission check station with a CEL on a '96 or newer car, you fail. Period. If you don't have a CEL but they can't read your computer when they hook up their test equipment, they run your car on the dyno (like older cars). (Hint, hint...) PM me if you want more details.

You could get your OBD-II PCM reprogrammed by a dealer per the TSB. The best price that I found locally was about $80. You could get an aftermarket tune on the OBD-II PCM (or get an OBD-I conversion PCM) for a little more and get a lot more benefits (even on 87 octane). [Of course, I recommend PCMPerformance.com since they did a good job for me at a great price.]

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah thanks for the help. I am putting a T56 in a buddies car and he wanted to remove the airpump, Alex @ PCMperformance told him it wasn't a good idea to go to OBD-1 for that reason as they may fail him due to not being able to hook up to it, so he is going to have to have the OBD-II changed or modded for the T56 conversion anyway and he is going to have Alex remove it from the program. I am going to remove the air pump and we are going to cross our fingers, I think it will be alright, but I know how the emission nazi's can be and I just wanted to see what other guys from Ohio have done with the situation. Thanks for the insight I will pass it on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts