Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys. I have my Blazer center console and shifter and haven't started the install but I am doing the preliminary planning.

I notice that the shifter assembly had a black box with an electrical connector (that I didn't get)and that seems to be what releases the lever when you apply the brake to shift from park.

The question is, have you guys removed this part of the shifter when you leave the stock column pieces hooked up to the transmission? I would think you would have to but I haven't seen anyone mention it in past threads. With the shifter sitting on my workbench I can't shift it from the park position so wouldn't it be the same in the car?

I plan on just knocking out the column shifter and leaving the column alone. I know a few of you have done it that way but how have you gotten around the interlock on the Blazer shifter?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I notice that the shifter assembly had a black box with an electrical connector (that I didn't get)and that seems to be what releases the lever when you apply the brake to shift from park.
On that black box, which is on the passenger's side of the shifter, there is a metal shaft with a white "disk" or washer on it.. That needs to be removed, then pull the pin/shaft out with pliers. When you do this, you'll notice that you're now able to depress the shifter button. Hold the pin in the out position, and bend it down. (I used a hammer and chisel for this.)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That makes sense. I hadn't seen anyone mention it before. I almost hate to destroy it though. I may wire the shifter up some day. Maybe I could just wire that part up for now. Or I could wire it to a switch and it could be a theft deterent.

Thanks for the reply.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not yet, Carl.. I'm currently waiting on my buddy with the welder so I can have him get a couple nuts tacked up to bolt 'er down, and so I can weld the lever onto the tranny. He's in the process of moving right now though, so that has added yet another delay. :( Thankfully though, all the fitment is done, and once the torch is ready I should just be able to bolt in and go! btw - I think the carpet stuffing is going to work very well. I know right where to cut/stuff, and will do so right before bolting it all up. Many pics will be forthcoming. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got one myself, but want to install it on my 96. are the shifters inter changeable? can I use the stock shifter? what are my options?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.