Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm trying to fix the damned oil leak from my last Opti install in our 95 9C1. Using Fel Pro gasket set. The directions say:

FIT
Fel-Pro Installation Tips

Distributor Shaft Seal

Install seal into the recessed cavity of the seal retainer or into the cylinder block (depending on engine model).

Timing Cover Seals

Prior to installing the rotating shaft and/or seal, apply a thin coat of lubricant, such as grease, on the sealing lip and shaft.

Important: Do not install any seal without break-in lubricant protection.

Okay, the directions seem to be conflicting. WTF do I do, and EXACTLY what surfaces need a lubricant, and EXACTLY what surfaces do not? I'm about to put this stupid thing together, and at this point, this will be the last time.

Thanks, and be specific. You can feel free to pretend I know nothing about cars, as apparently, these install directions aren't making sense to me.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the 'rubber' parts of both seals, the part that actually seals against the opti, and water pump drive, respectively is to be dry? Okay. I'll make them as dry as possible.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Okay, I'm trying to fix the damned oil leak from my last Opti install in our 95 9C1. Using Fel Pro gasket set. The directions say:

FIT
Fel-Pro Installation Tips

Distributor Shaft Seal

Install seal into the recessed cavity of the seal retainer or into the cylinder block (depending on engine model).

Timing Cover Seals

Prior to installing the rotating shaft and/or seal, apply a thin coat of lubricant, such as grease, on the sealing lip and shaft.

Important: Do not install any seal without break-in lubricant protection.

Okay, the directions seem to be conflicting. WTF do I do, and EXACTLY what surfaces need a lubricant, and EXACTLY what surfaces do not? I'm about to put this stupid thing together, and at this point, this will be the last time.

Thanks, and be specific. You can feel free to pretend I know nothing about cars, as apparently, these install directions aren't making sense to me.
Gene, feel the surface of the new w/p and opti seals. These are the top 2 seals. They are teflon coated. That's why they have to be installed dry. The crank seal is rubber. It's the lowest seal. That one can be (should be, but some do and some don't) installed wet or coated w/ oil. That should clarify that however the hugest single mistake people make is to improperly install the w/p seal. You have to use a tool/sharpie/socket/something else which will work to get it to NOT fold outward on the shaft as you're sliding it on. If it folds, your efforts are in vain and it'll leak like a sieve once you get it buttoned back up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.