Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

So - I picked up another wagon. Since the 91 is actually slated for a custom graft at a later date, I found a super-clean 94 Caprice wagon in black / burgundy interior with 90k miles on it. Although the car is in garage kept shape, the transmission gave up the ghost in about 300 miles. The previous owner claims he had no knowledge, but the trans rebuild dude showed me 3rd and 4th gear clutches - said it was run low on fluid and they burned out. He also showed me the big K on the housing which means it came out of a 4wd truck (not original as I was told). After having the trans rebuilt and installing it, I found the issue - where the trans lines bend up near the radiator, the pressure lines and fittings were removed (probably leaked or were dry-rotted) and someone put fuel lines with hose clamps in their place rather than replace the entire line with the correct pressure fittings. It blew off in my driveway after I pulled the car out of the garage. Now I am in the process of replacing the radiator, trans lines and oil cooler lines as they are crusty at the radiator. Chalk it up to experience - and trusting people when they say the car is cherry and all original. I like the car so I am moving on . . .
Since the car is almost 30 years old, I plan on replacing the water pump while I have the radiator out and the timing cover gaskets as well (slight leak there). The Opti-Spark was already replaced as were the wires.

So - a couple questions about the fan and fan shroud setup.

1) This wagon has one clutch fan and one electric fan. If I understand the SS / 9C1 setup, it has the double electric fan and no clutch fan - is that correct? Or does it have one clutch fan and two electric fans? If someone could post a pic, I would appreciate it.

2) If I choose to upgrade to the double fan setup, does this connect to the existing setup and draw the same amount or will I need to upgrade the wiring harness? Since the double fans are connected, it looks like a simple plug-and-play setup unless it draws more than the factory single electric fan setup can handle.

3) Is there anything else I should be adding / replacing while I have the front of the engine exposed?

I will post a couple pics of the car

Thanks,

Dan

·
Administrator
3,322 Posts
The K is normal on our transmissions. He's wrong. The cut/fixed lines are super common on our cars. Also super common: bad 3/4 packs. Congrats on the nice car, you'll have it fixed up in no time!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply Jay,

Interesting on the casting. Maybe it is shared with the trucks as the wagons are setup as more heavy duty? Just speculating . . .

I have also seen the line repairs done like that on other cars - I wouldn't recommend it for this exact reason. Lucky for me it blew off in the driveway rather than on the highway or it would have been another trans rebuild. Once is enough :)
:)

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
1) This wagon has one clutch fan and one electric fan. If I understand the SS / 9C1 setup, it has the double electric fan and no clutch fan - is that correct? Or does it have one clutch fan and two electric fans? If someone could post a pic, I would appreciate it.

2) If I choose to upgrade to the double fan setup, does this connect to the existing setup and draw the same amount or will I need to upgrade the wiring harness? Since the double fans are connected, it looks like a simple plug-and-play setup unless it draws more than the factory single electric fan setup can handle.
Every L99 Caprice sedan, every 2.56 LT1 sedan / wagon, every 9C1 / SS has two electric fans.
You need the electrical wiring for the electrical primary fan that replaces the mech fan.
Think it's separate from but also connects to the existing wiring for your electrical secondary fan.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So then what does that make my wagon with the LT1, one electric fan and one clutch fan?

Mine has the connection for the electric and I have seen images of the double fans which have a connecting cable so the fans appear to daisy-chain together. My question is will the factory wiring melt as it will have a double-draw if I go the double electric fan route or is it all the same wiring harness, made to handle the double electric?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
So then what does that make my wagon with the LT1, one electric fan and one clutch fan?
Your LT1 wagon has RPO V08, main mech fan, 240W electrical backup fan.
V08 is part of V92. V92 includes 2.93 instead of 2.56, among a few other differences.
(V92 is referred to as a 5,000lb Tow Pack Option, but I canNOT recommend it without programming upgrades to protect the 4L60E.)
Mine has the connection for
ONE electric fan
and I have seen images of the double fans which have a connecting cable so the fans appear to daisy-chain together.
My question is will the factory wiring melt as it will have a double-draw if I go the double electric fan route or is it all the same wiring harness, made to handle the double electric?
Note the correction of your quote above.
You've wiring for the 240W backup fan, but are likely missing the wiring for the 150W primary fan.
If you add the primary fan wiring and relay as per this TSB
you won't have problems with the relay melting.
Yes, the TSB insists that it only applies to 9C1s & 9C6s.
The ISSF generally prefers upgrades when reasonably possible.
In the entire history of LT1 B- & D-cars, the relays and/or the relay seats in the underhood electrical box melt at least 10x as often as the wiring; the relays almost always melt first.
The TSB protects the wiring and relay by moving the relay to a cooler spot outside the box.)
Get in touch with Gary of Innovative Wiring here at the ISSF (his website appears to be down for the time being).
'Gary IW' is his ISSF handle.
He'll hook you up with what you need, including upgrades if you're in the mood.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow - an amazing amount of knowledge here - thanks all for the info. I had a feeling that it might not be as easy as plug-and-play (but I was hoping :D).

@ Sinister - Tow package makes sense. I can see the posi tag on the rear diff. The 2.92 gears are pretty lame off the line but I do like the 20-25 MPG that this whale gets - and are probably better than the 2.56's

@Marky - Impressive code and wiring knowledge base there. When I decide to upgrade to make this a 1A2 clone, I will dive back in.

@ Jay - Yes - I will just keep it more or less stock - for now

The car is in very good shape - I am weighing upgrades for reliability and performance. Thinking for now I will just make it reliable to drive and leave the fan system alone.

So based upon keeping it stock for now, it appears that someone bottomed out on the radiator support at some time. It has a small bend in it and the lower shroud is gone. The upper is broken where the drivers side bolt secures it. I am looking for an unbroken set - upper and lower shroud if anyone is selling. Saw one on eBay that someone wanted $400 for - seemed pretty steep - anyone have spares? Let me know.

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
fan shroud (upper and lower)
With everyone switching to electric fans someone may have kept a set.

My understanding is that several parts of the mechanical fan system are very hard to get. If there are b bodys in the parts yard in your area I would suggest you pick up the fan harness wiring and the two fan mounts. I do not know if your electric fan mount can be used but I think it can be.

The best electric fan combo has one small fan motor(primary) and one large flat back motor(secondary 240 Watt.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Wheel Wood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Automotive design

Gary at Innovative Wiring has had a very good reputation for many years but has had medical and website issues in the last year or so.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Dan,
(If for whatever reason you stick with a mech main fan, the lighter plastic fan used in GMT800 Silveradierras and Suburbyuhokons is worth a few horse and MpG over the older metal fan.)

You've already a 240W electrical backup fan on the driver side; much better than the 100W secondary electrical fan motor used in LT1 cars after late '95 with two electrical fans (V03).
Good news is it's easy to differentiate the 240W motor from the 100W motor - by size.
At the junkyard, you want the primary fan motor, fan housing / bracketry, wiring, and relay from any Caprice RoadMaster or Fleetwood with two electrical fans - specifically, the PASSENGER SIDE fan (150W).
Gary's primary fan wiring harness is far superior, but you may get a great deal on the junkyard stuff.
That said, I'd prefer new(er?) upper and lower radiator shrouds too; they bend / get bent with age / experience.

The electrical primary fan conversion is more plug-&-play than you think.
If / when you wire up the 150W electrical primary fan 'correctly', the pcm will turn on that fan @ 225°F, despite lacking the ability to throw any primary electrical fan 'code' in its OE state.
The 2ndary turns on @ 232°F.
(GM's OE fan-on thresholds are close to overheating - one of several reasons to get the pcm reprogrammed.)

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
If you delete the mech fan and you have a tensioner for it that is in good shape you can sell it to pretty much cover the swap. Yeah, they are THAT rare.

Get in touch with Gary of Innovative Wiring here at the ISSF (his website appears to be down for the time being).
'Gary IW' is his ISSF handle.
He'll hook you up with what you need, including upgrades if you're in the mood.
Last I saw he is pretty much out of business now due to life getting in the way. He might have something laying around but if not he doesn't know when he can make one.

·
Registered
11,538 Posts
There are a couple of fan shrouds in the local yards here in FL.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All great info - thanks again. I will research the fan and wiring harnesses - always looking for more HP and mileage. I have pinged a couple on FBM that have multiple wagons for the correct shroud. I am in eastern PA so I am happy to drive an hour or so to pull a good one. I will keep you posted as to progress.

This is a great forum :cool:

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
If you are getting shrouds get the idler/tensioner, and I think there is a metal shield or metal tube on the lower radiator hose that is unique to the mechanical fan.

I ASSume the fan clutch is easy to get.

Question to the forum: is there unique hardware for the water pump or is the water pump different?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts