Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I just installed a replacement power antenna on my 96 impala, which, by the way, made me want to take whomever decided how to get to it as a hostage. Anyway, the stock wires are colored white, green, and grey. Does anyone know what these coorespond to? I assumed white was 12v, grey was ground, and green was power antenna. Apparently, I assumed wrong because the antenna doesn't work. Or else, I blew a fuse or something. Please help me I'm dumb.

·
Registered
153 Posts
the mast is not driven by the radio directly, it is buffered by the antenna relay

white is hot and dk grn is gnd when it is up
dk grn is hot and grey is gnd when it is down

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the mast is not driven by the radio directly, it is buffered by the antenna relay

white is hot and dk grn is gnd when it is up
dk grn is hot and grey is gnd when it is down
Okay so if my new antenna has red(hot) black(ground) and blue(power antenna), which goes to which?

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Trial,and error I guess. There are only six possible combinations.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Try any combo you want, it won't work. Look at the schematic. You can either run a wire to the radio or pull the relay and bypass

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey, I just installed a replacement power antenna on my 96 impala, which, by the way, made me want to take whomever decided how to get to it as a hostage. Anyway, the stock wires are colored white, green, and grey. Does anyone know what these coorespond to? I assumed white was 12v, grey was ground, and green was power antenna. Apparently, I assumed wrong because the antenna doesn't work. Or else, I blew a fuse or something. Please help me I'm dumb.

I would love to know how you replaced the antenna on your 96 ss? I have the same car and the same problem. I have researched it and it looks like a nightmare, i have tried to attempt it once and stopped ten minutes in lol can you maybe give me an over view of how you replaced it or a step by step, i would appreciate it to the fullest :)

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
antenna

I did mine when the inner fender was off the car. It was a piece of cake.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would love to know how you replaced the antenna on your 96 ss? I have the same car and the same problem. I have researched it and it looks like a nightmare, i have tried to attempt it once and stopped ten minutes in lol can you maybe give me an over view of how you replaced it or a step by step, i would appreciate it to the fullest :)
Dude, I may not be the best person to ask because, as you can see, my antenna still dosent work. However, yeah, you basically have to take the entire passenger side inner fender off the car to do it right. 1) Disconnect the battery. 2) Loosen front wheel lugs 3) Lift car, put jackstand in position and remove front wheel. 4) Take a picture of entire fender so you can remember where the bolts go (some have large washers,etc.) 5) Remove every bolt from fender and remove fender. 6) Remove old antenna by unscrewing the nut on top of the body panel (should have four slots to grip), and the two that mount the antenna (accesible when you have the fender off). Disconnect wires from old antenna. 7) Install new antenna and replace everything (this is where I had a problem).

The antenna I bought was different from stock so I had to modify a mounting bracket so it would be snug. I wish I hadn't decided that I needed to replace my antenna because I spent 4 hours doing everything and mine still dosent work. Good luck to you though my friend.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I assumed white was 12v, grey was ground, and green was power antenna.
if you take the relay out, get some jumper wire, and in the socket jump 3 to 4, jump 1 to 6 and jump 2 to 5 and it should work for you

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if you take the relay out, get some jumper wire, and in the socket jump 3 to 4, jump 1 to 6 and jump 2 to 5 and it should work for you
Many thanks to you jimmyjam. I didn't have the schematic in my haynes manual. It works now. The problem is now that I just realized I never listen to the radio.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Dude, I may not be the best person to ask because, as you can see, my antenna still dosent work. However, yeah, you basically have to take the entire passenger side inner fender off the car to do it right. 1) Disconnect the battery. 2) Loosen front wheel lugs 3) Lift car, put jackstand in position and remove front wheel. 4) Take a picture of entire fender so you can remember where the bolts go (some have large washers,etc.) 5) Remove every bolt from fender and remove fender. 6) Remove old antenna by unscrewing the nut on top of the body panel (should have four slots to grip), and the two that mount the antenna (accesible when you have the fender off). Disconnect wires from old antenna. 7) Install new antenna and replace everything (this is where I had a problem).

The antenna I bought was different from stock so I had to modify a mounting bracket so it would be snug. I wish I hadn't decided that I needed to replace my antenna because I spent 4 hours doing everything and mine still dosent work. Good luck to you though my friend.
Or you could consult the FSM. Inner fender does not need to come off. Just loosen and block open for access. Use GM antenna for proper fitment. Lots of threads on this subject.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The problem is now that I just realized I never listen to the radio.
exactly. i'm looking at shaving the power antenna, get a standard whip antenna and lay it horizontally under the cowl if i ever need it

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
I have replaced about 4 antennas, and I can do it in about 30-45 minutes. Loosen the wheelhouse all the way (at least) to the top of the wheel arch Remove the two bolts behind the wheel, and pry the wheelhouse away from the body. Remove the 10 mm screw in the door jam, the bezel, power connector, and the antenna cable. With a little wiggling and twisting, you can get it out through the bottom of the fender. Putting it back the only caution is that the mast must go behind (toward the engine) the divider in the fender.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Recently replaced my antenna with the complete kit from www.TheAntennaSource.com. BUT need an adapter to go from new antenna wire to car antenna wire, looks like it needs to be female-female. theantennasource.com/ doesn't have this adapter.
Any advice?
Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Recently replaced my antenna with the complete kit from www.TheAntennaSource.com. BUT need an adapter to go from new antenna wire to car antenna wire, looks like it needs to be female-female. theantennasource.com/ doesn't have this adapter.
Any advice?
Thanks.

I've been in the same boat for a summer. If you find the correct part, please post it on this thread!

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
Get a d
Any advice?
Thanks.
Get a different antenna that works.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts