Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
374 Posts
I remember when I first saw those I asked a few questions, I even have a few pics of them installed in my computer. I believe people were getting them from ebay, they go to a 80- g body I believe. Like a cutlass or monte carlo.

Sorry I dont have any more info, I just didnt get too far with it. Hope this helps and please correct me if Im wrong someone.

ZACH

· Registered
374 Posts
Oh, Im sorry, I was not thinking SWAY bars, but rather this kit in the pictures....

The kit in the picture is not the one on the car, but it is the same thing..... (I think) its NOT MY CAR.

Sorry for the confusion.
ZACH

· Registered
238 Posts
Hotchkis are he best all around bars for the street. Mostly neutral handling.
The BMR bars are a little too big.
I have a Herb Adams bar in the rear, which is supposed to be similar to BMR, and a F-car bar in front. Scott Mueller thought this was the most neutral set up.
I think it feels pretty good and makes the car feel lighter than it really is.
I have no idea what the BMR front bar is like though.

· Registered
360 Posts
Oh, Im sorry, I was not thinking SWAY bars, but rather this kit in the pictures....

The kit in the picture is not the one on the car, but it is the same thing..... (I think) its NOT MY CAR.

Sorry for the confusion.
ZACH
This is a sway / anti-roll bar - it's just mounted to the frame instead of to the control arms. This is a better way of mounting the sway bar.

We're working on a design like this as we speak...

· Registered
233 Posts

· Premium Member
1,789 Posts
I believe I got mine off E Bay for about a $150.00. I'll try to dig up the link for you. Here's some pics of the recent install on my SS. I still need to clean it up and paint but it's an interestesting setup. I originally had it mounted above the axle but decided on a new approach. Thanks to my buddy Jeff. He was the genius for this mounting location.

**edit** This is the shop I bought mine from a few years back. I believe Mike Harris gave me the info.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BIG-...430QQitemZ310181348400QQptZRaceQ5fCarQ5fParts

The ends of the bar is my attempt at welding..

We used a 1 1/2" round bar with a 22 degree bend at both ends and welded it between the frame then everything else fell into place. Ton of rom to work when you drop the tank out of there to work.

· Registered
360 Posts
Sway bars are not the same as an anti roll bar. What the OP is asking about is a rear end only device that helps keep the car straight and level during the launch in drag racing.
Sway bars = anti-sway bars = anti-roll bars

All different names for the same concept. There are different types of these bars - control arm mounted, frame mounted, etc.

· Registered
436 Posts
Eric, did you do any before and after testing with it? How about without the control arm attached swaybar? I have a feeling that the anti-roll bar should be capable of doing everything you need.

· Premium Member
1,789 Posts
I keep the sway bar on there all the time. When the car is not at the track; I actually disconnect one link on the anti roll bar. There is little articulation of the suspension when the links are on which is actually dangerous on the street.

I'm still tweaking the suspension on the car since I switched to the 383 and higher stall converter. I know with the current setup that the car launches very level. I've also went from QTP's to slicks then to a MT Drag radial. The car is undergeared at the moment with a 3.73 geat but a 28" tire but I'll finally put some 4.10's (possibly 4.30's) in before the end of the month. The car still gets driven weekly and still gets driven to the track (only been towed back once..opti). :)

We'll see what happens. I need to keep the front down and move forward....

· Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Sway bars = anti-sway bars = anti-roll bars

All different names for the same concept. There are different types of these bars - control arm mounted, frame mounted, etc.
Similiar concept but huge difference. Sway bar is streetable and the anti roll bar would be a track only option.

There is no articulation with the anti roll bar which is actually dangerous for daily street driving.

· Premium Member
1,116 Posts
So your saying there is no articulation on welding it to the frame and a better option would be to weld it to the sway bar. I understand your point but unless you like to drift your car or go fast around corners what is dangerous about it?

Sorry just getting ready to do thiscwm4

· Premium Member
1,789 Posts
So your saying there is no articulation on welding it to the frame and a better option would be to weld it to the sway bar. I understand your point but unless you like to drift your car or go fast around corners what is dangerous about it?

Sorry just getting ready to do thiscwm4
The sway bar will actually twist with the motion of the car but a anti roll bar is basically ties the frame to the rear end and is a solid mount.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.