Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wrote a previous thread about how my 96 ss would choke from idle with a dose of gas. I unhooked the mass airflow sensor and my problem pretty much went away for the exception that at least on cold starts I had to hold the throttle to the floor to get it to start. Seemed to me a new sensor was the fix since if I had it unhooked there was no more choke/stumble. New one didn't work. Any ideas at all would be helpful. Also when I hooked up the new sensor I could not get the car to start. Thanks JZ.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Any CEL? I would get it scanned so your not just throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At this point I kinda stuck, I can't get the car running well enough to take it to scan the check engine codes. If it's anything to do with one of the sensors, oxygen, maf, throttle sensor can I disconnect them to help it run well enough to take it or am I stuck buying a scanner? Thanks JZ.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
hate to see you just throwing parts at it but try cleaning the throttle body or could be the TPS.does it miss at idle? or is it smooth till you give it gas? check your fuel pressure and when did you replace your fuel filter?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand what your getting at, I cleaned the throttle housing and changed the fuel filter. I origanaly thought I had a problem with maybe the fuel pump however after I unhooked the MAF it ran great. No stumble or anything, so I kinda ruled that out, but after I bought another MAF and tried it everthing is wrong. No matter if I have the MAF hooked up or not it runs terrible. I do have CEL but at this point I'm not sure what codes are on it. I know I need those so I'm gonna try and get them asap. If it's a O2 sensor or a throttle sensor would that make it run terrible? Was also thinking maybe my AIR pump cause I took out the fuse for it and it was the same either way. Thanks a lot JZ.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
bad o2s will after it warms up.most of the time it will run good when cold but when it gets to temprature run like crap.check your wiring also near the maf..water pump sensor ect.could be as simple as a bad coil wire.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice that might make some sense about the O2 sensors warming up I'll keep you posted. JZ.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts