Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
If those are, in fact, Moog that's a very good deal, because I priced everything out on Rock Auto at over $250.

·
Premium Member
6,396 Posts
I have no idea about where these parts are coming from.

The Moog part numbering routine is quite common, and is in use by many suspension part suppliers & re-packagers.

What I will note is that the current (for B-body) Moog lower ball joints & idler are "T" items (K6141T or K6145T, and K6187T), which was a change in Moog's design for these parts, which I recall was an effort to improve the durability of these parts in GM light truck applications--several which just happen to be common with the B & D chassis.

The "Problem Solver" slogan does NOT represent a special line of parts that Moog offers as a "premium" product--the term is used on many of their standard parts. Unlike Moog, as an example, Raybestos clearly has a "service line" and a "professional line" of replacement suspension parts with distinctly different pricing points.

There may, in fact, be a low-cost line of parts made by Moog or another Federal Mogul subsidiary, but they are not packaged as Moog products. Most of them end up in store-brand packaging, offered as a low-cost alternative, to be able to "up-sell" Moog as "the best available" (in that store).

What I will also note about the kit on e-bay....this is a STEERING system parts package plus new sway bar links, not a complete front-end package. There are no control arm bushings, and there are no replacement sway bar frame bushings. The total cost of a complete "front end" kit would certainly be more than the pricing shown on e-bay.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You seen like a knowledgeable guy. For the parts and price is this a good deal? I was also considering the hotchkis suspension kit for 257$ but that doesn't have ball joints.

·
Premium Member
6,396 Posts
My take: you get what you pay for.

The e-bay offer is definitely a "bargain", but I again reiterate that the identification of these parts does not mean they're Moog, and I see no claim that they are--again, the ID (using Moog numbers) is more a matter of "industry-standard", since Moog has such a large footprint in the business. It was very easy for other suppliers to adopt the same numbering just to avoid confusion on the other side of the parts counter with inventory control, etc...whether the customer knows or cares that the parts in question are top-line Moog or not (or even knows the difference) is an entirely different matter. More often than not, the average customer is going to opt for the lowest cost possible...even if it's known not to be a "top line" brand/source.

That said, in defense of ANY new parts vs a front end that is worn out, it SHOULD be an improvement to install new components to tighten the car up in the driveability department.

More expensive parts (assuming OE spec, not "performance enhancing" parts--such as DelALum bushings, etc), alone, will not necessarily provide any greater improvement in how the car's handling or feel is improved, initially, but 10,000 miles down the road, it might be clear that it would have been better to spend the extra $$ that the top-line parts would have cost.

There are so many things that can come into play--things that you aren't planning to replace during the rebuild--that there is no guarantee a front-end rebuild alone (steering linkage, ball joints, and control arm bushings) will be a 100% "cure-all". For example....the steering column lower support, intermediate shaft, and the steering gear itself--as well as questions like "is the frame 100% in spec?" (not bent, upper control arm mounting points are not shifted from frame sag, etc)--things that could easily be a problem on a 15 year old car with 100K or more miles of service, and could still leave the car with a "vague" feel, no matter how much you spent on the replacement parts for the "front end" job. And I should also state that you need to be sure that the BACK of the car is not contributing to a less than satisfying driving experience....that the tail isn't wagging the dog....due to rear control arm & bushing problems.

It's a complete package, and everything has to be "in spec" to again make driving the car a joy, not a chore.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Anyone bought anything from this company? What kind of quality?
Excellent questions as all too often these are the questions not asked by purchasers of EBay products.

EBay is more of a bazaar or market in the old school terminology, than a legitimate modern day business. Haggling, bargains, buyer beware. These are but a few of the terms that you need to deal w/. If you're incredibly hard up or know w/ 100% confidence that the deal is sound, then OK. If not, why bother? There are more catch 22's, disreputable buyers, disreputable sellers, caveats, etc... than virtually any other site. You don't need the hassle. These guys want, what? $107 some odd for all of those components. Price the components individually or collectively elsewhere. Do the math. There's something wrong w/ this picture. They can't legitimately sell for that much less. Either you're getting the deal of a lifetime by idiots or you're being had by scam artists. Of the 2, which do you really think is going to wind up being the case?

Sorry about the EBay rant, but it's really just getting out of hand and people need to begin realizing it for what it truly is. Per your questions, never dealt w/ the company so I can't speak to the quality. The part numbers seem to be Moog and Energy Suspension components. You're fortunate to've gotten sound advice from NavyLifer. It's upon his recommendations that I'm going w/ Raybestos pro line ball joints and bushings.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent questions as all too often these are the questions not asked by purchasers of EBay products.

EBay is more of a bazaar or market in the old school terminology, than a legitimate modern day business. Haggling, bargains, buyer beware. These are but a few of the terms that you need to deal w/..

My take: you get what you pay for.

The e-bay offer is definitely a "bargain",
It's a complete package, and everything has to be "in spec" to again make driving the car a joy, not a chore.

This is exactly why I am asking the folk who know. I am new to the suspension thing. the most Ive ever done was shocks and springs. Im doing my research before i buy some parts that are garbage. I thought this might be a little fishy. i have bought alot of things from EBAY and for the most part i have been satisified with most products ive bought. with the exception of every purchase that came from Japan or China.

Have a 1500$ budget that i want to dump into my car this Winter. And about 300-500 was my suspension budget. including shocks ans springs. With that said i am leaning toward MOOG and now that you "SEO9C1" bought up the raybestos pro line" I may consider that for ball joints.

Note.

I am not racing my car nor is it a DD. She is a weekend roller. I just want to tighten it up a little. But i was told that i needed ball joints from mechanic. But i refuse to pay 5-1000$ for labor.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Have a 1500$ budget that i want to dump into my car this Winter. And about 300-500 was my suspension budget. including shocks ans springs. With that said i am leaning toward MOOG and now that you "SEO9C1" bought up the raybestos pro line" I may consider that for ball joints.
Moog springs are around $200
Steering components around $250
Ball joints around $100
Sway bar end links and bushings around $40

So you're already around $600 without shocks. This is just ballpark, of course, depending on brands, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts