Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its time for new shocks, and I'm on a budget. I was thinking about ordering a set of Edlebrock IAS shocks. Summit had them for $69.00 ea. the last time I checked. Anybody have any experience with these?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Do a search for "IAS" in the suspension forum. The overwhelming consensus is to AVOID them entirely. Having said that, I've never had a set on my car, but I DO trust the tried-and-true experts on this forum. My 9C1 still has it's original Bilsteins and 134k on the clock. I'm replacing them soon with new Bilsteins only cuz I'm doing a suspension makeover and want to do it all at the same time. As for the price, looks like a new set of Bilsteins would cost the same as IAS.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ditto...they suck...not from experiance but from expertise!!

B. Currey

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No problems yet.
My major complaint is that they are too soft. Way too soft.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I will reconsider my purchase.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The simplest solution is the Bilsteins, which are offered in two flavors: 91-96 aka floaty-stiff, and 77-90 aka stiff. Not to worry, either will fit with no problems. Bilstein also says they offer custom valving - if this were true, I'd pit tht option against some of the more exotic option that have been tried here before.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cheavy:
The simplest solution is the Bilsteins, which are offered in two flavors: 91-96 aka floaty-stiff, and 77-90 aka stiff. Not to worry, either will fit with no problems. Bilstein also says they offer custom valving - if this were true, I'd pit tht option against some of the more exotic option that have been tried here before.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think custom valving was like $50 each shock or something. Maybe it's cheaper. I don't remember. But I think the ideal shock would be to take the 77-90 HD Bilstein and add some bump damping to the level of the 91-96 HD Bilsteins or even higher. They have great rebound damping, which gives the controlled ride, but I think the bump damping is too light for the weight of the 91-96s. When approaching a sloped gas station entrance head on, for instance, there is a lot of suspension compression and the air dam bottoms out. With more bump damping, it would be more controlled. Just my $0.02.
And for the record, I highly recommend the 77-90 Bilsteins - best non-adjustable shock you can get for the Caprice/Impala, hands down.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with Kevin about the Bilsteins. They're not too stiff, car still doesn't ride like a Camaro, (for me that's good) but it made a world of difference. Shox.com, 71.95 each.....

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they suck!
three months on the fronts and they froze and 4months on the rears!
On a totally stock caprice. It rode nice for 2 months! $300 down the tubes!
EDELCRAP!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again for the feedback. I ordered my Bisteins from Shox.com yesterday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts