Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to potentially swap my 94 head unit to one that fits 95-up with a bluetooth mod - however, although the plugs apparently work fine, I understand the 94 unit is shorter and thus the 95-96 unit will stick out a bit. I'm trying to figure out whether I can modify the 95-96 head unit to fit (or the car, I suppose). Any info / thoughts would be great -

Thanks,

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
1,560 Posts
If there is a difference, then it's news to me. I would have said they were the same.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Doing a quick search on Crutchfield it appears that the Impalas may have all been 1.5 DIN. I have a 96 Roadmaster wagon and that has a Double DIN. It appears, accordign to Crutchfield, that the 1996 was the only year the Roadmasters were Double DIN. I didn't bother to check the Caprice wagons.

Crutchfield could be wrong, but according to their site, none of the 1994-1996 Impalas had Double DIN units. A buddy of mine that has done stereo installations since 1993 was very surprised that my 1996 had a Double DIN, he assumed being GM that it would be a 1.5 DIN.

You would not be able to modify the larger (Double DIN) head unit to fit a 1.5 DIN location. You would need to modify the opening for the larger head unit to fit into. The 1.5 DIN is 25% shorter than the Double DIN

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
1,560 Posts
Doing a quick search on Crutchfield it appears that the Impalas may have all been 1.5 DIN. I have a 96 Roadmaster wagon and that has a Double DIN. It appears, accordign to Crutchfield, that the 1996 was the only year the Roadmasters were Double DIN. I didn't bother to check the Caprice wagons.

Crutchfield could be wrong, but according to their site, none of the 1994-1996 Impalas had Double DIN units. A buddy of mine that has done stereo installations since 1993 was very surprised that my 1996 had a Double DIN, he assumed being GM that it would be a 1.5 DIN.

You would not be able to modify the larger (Double DIN) head unit to fit a 1.5 DIN location. You would need to modify the opening for the larger head unit to fit into. The 1.5 DIN is 25% shorter than the Double DIN
The dash is the same from 94-96. Isn't it?

The Fleetwood uses what they call a 1.5 DIN, but an aftermarket double DIN fits perfectly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The dash is the same from 94-96. Isn't it?

The Fleetwood uses what they call a 1.5 DIN, but an aftermarket double DIN fits perfectly.
I believe you are correct that the dash in the impala from 94-96 is the same, it is not in the Roadmaster. They opened up the area for the head unit to accomodate a Double DIN instead of a 1.5 DIN opening in the 96 (possibly the 95).

According to the Crutchfield site, the Fleetwood is a Double DIN for 1994-1996, so the dash on the Fleetwood most likely did not change during that time, unlike the Roadmaster. The Caprice has a 1.5 DIN opening from 1994-1996, same as the Impala.

Again, this is all based off of what I am finding on the Crutchfield site, which tends to be pretty solid for vehicle information. It is the little subtle differenced between the various BBodies that are strange. Why they would change the stereo opening for one or two years on the RM but not on the Chevys, but the Caddi has a Double DIN all 3 of those years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts